diy solar

diy solar

Help with the little things!

Also started a thread and I've had no response. I want this ready for next year as I'm foaling and would like to have some electric to keep me company.
I didn’t see it just now.

But you have a mishmash of atypical bargain-type stuff that probably most people don’t have fluency with. I don’t.

First thing is get the solar functional.
But I think one panel and ~100Ah of useable battery isn’t going to take you very far. The rv batteries are fine if you need them to charge in freezing weather, but if kept in a warm environment lithium might serve you better.

I ran on 200W of solar and a couple deep cycles for a long time, but once you add a fridge and basic modern necessities, 400W is bare minimum, 800W is acceptable, 1800W is versatile.

they are AGM, not FLA , 100% discharge rated , safe all the way down to 10.5v. 190ah of usable capacity over the two batteries
I wouldn’t be that optimistic on agm cycled deeply. Service life will be shorter than fla and if used for any appreciable amperage I am not confident in the serviceable watt hours.
Will they work? Yes. I ran fla for three or four years satisfactorily.

Step one is to get the equipment functional, get a fuse block, start using it how you intend to, see how it goes.

Tell me you don't have a 12 volt home system?
I have a 12V system that I use residentially/ yes. Almost 5 years now. DC lighting, DC cell booster, DC phone charger; 2000W inverter for fridge, vacuum, coffee; ~5kWh lithium now…works great!

You’ve been here a while - I am surprised you didn’t notice this ?

I have a 12V system that I use residentially/ yes. Almost 5 years now. DC lighting, DC cell booster, DC phone charger; 2000W inverter for fridge, vacuum, coffee; ~5kWh lithium now…works great!

You’ve been here a while - I am surprised you didn’t notice this ?
I take it you're a 12 volt RV type installer but I would think for an off grid home you would have stepped it up. Curiosity made me ask.

How many cycles are they rated to give at 100% discharge? Not many I'd guess.

400 full cycles on these, as they are not the best in the world , dual purpose rubbish

And yes 50%soc does give some lifetime capacity bonus (at least on paper) , around 15%~ when compared to 100% discharge..

So you could expect maybe 900 half cycles Vs 400 full cycles. Not a huge difference.... (900 half cycles is equivalent in total ah to 450 full obviously...)

I wouldn’t be that optimistic on agm cycled deeply. Service life will be shorter than fla and if used for any appreciable amperage I am not confident in the serviceable watt hours.
Will they work? Yes. I ran fla for three or four years satisfactorily.

Step one is to get the equipment functional, get a fuse block, start using it how you intend to, see how it goes.

Yes getting up and running is the most important thing!

The maths on AGM's cycle life might surprise you.

I take it you're a 12 volt RV type installer but I would think for an off grid home you would have stepped it up. Curiosity made me ask.
I actually don’t have the need for that much current. Everything is handled, and I even run an electric heater on bright sun winter days (it’s free! Why not?)

I have a small shop; if I decide to power that to handle the welders, my bigger tablesaw, 220V compressor then 48V as a parallel system is my next step.

My lights are 12VDC and not subject to an inverter to operate and the fridge runs fine on the psw 12V inverter so I don’t have a need to change. While I have a generator, with 12V I could even do backup charging with a vehicle if needed. As long as the coffeemaker runs I’m happy. ?

The math on AGM's cycle life might surprise you
No. Watched too many of my fishing friends buy in on agm and replace more often than my flooded, and the off-roaders think they’re great until they’re not. My fla just die a slow predictable death.
Just my observations. AGM is better until it isn’t; my opinion. Just not a fan.

I actually don’t have the need for that much current. Everything is handled, and I even run an electric heater on bright sun winter days (it’s free! Why not?)

I have a small shop; if I decide to power that to handle the welders, my bigger tablesaw, 220V compressor then 48V as a parallel system is my next step.

My lights are 12VDC and not subject to an inverter to operate and the fridge runs fine on the psw 12V inverter so I don’t have a need to change. While I have a generator, with 12V I could even do backup charging with a vehicle if needed. As long as the coffeemaker runs I’m happy. ?

Fridge and coffee, priority one. Good to hear it's working for you.

There's actually a lot of homes running on 12 volt systems here in Baja. I have to credit that fact to the old Trace inverters that just refuse to die, even 25 - 30 years in. Those Trace, Xantrex and now Midnite guys have always built the best, most robust off-grid solar electronics.

No. Watched too many of my fishing friends buy in on agm and replace more often than my flooded, and the off-roaders think they’re great until they’re not. My fla just die a slow predictable death.
Full River builds some of the best deep cycle AGM batteries out there. Till I switched to LiFePo4 I had them and was very happy with them.

Flooded is actually a great option if you're willing to do the maintenance, and can put up with the weight

Flooded is actually a great option if you're willing to do the maintenance, and can put up with the weight
They worked. The walmartha “Maxx” marine deep cycles worked great for 20+ years in my boat. I got 3-4 years, sometimes more, pounding them hard with a trolling motor for walleye.

The last two I bought ‘settled’ at 12.8/12.7 which was cognitively annoying because historically a good charge mine would settle and hold ~13.1V but those didn’t. Plus the grp27’s used to have a decent warranty but the new ones are not warranteed 3 years anymore; one year? They may not be the same anymore. Grp29 still has 3 years I think, but the case size isn’t as manageable for the amp hour margin. Partly how I wound up with lithium.

Back