diy solar

diy solar

Battery Bank to Inverter Main fuse

JDSchulte

I am ordering components for my first build and I'm confused with fuse ratings/markings. I will have a 2200w inverter, and one or two 12v 230 amp batteries to work with. So it appears I need a 250amp fuse that goes between my battery and inverter. I'm thinking I need a 250amp/12 volt fuse and holder, but all I see is fuses marked 32V like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-MEGA-fuse-250A-12V/dp/B06X93WM2S/ref=sr_1_2?crid=UYKAN4A40XVW&keywords=victron+250amp+mega+fuse+12v&qid=1703997002&sprefix=victron+250amp+mega+fuse+12v,aps,88&sr=8-2

Can someone explain if this is the correct one?

Thank you.

John

PS. This is the inverter I'm going to order. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNTXN7P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A1SK9IS6JDBCLC&th=1

2200W x 1.25 peak potential /12v = 229A
250 A would be appropriate.
We normally recommend Class T fuse and holder between the battery and the inverter.
Blue Sea make good ones.
Welcome to the forum!

2200W x 1.25 peak potential /12v = 229A
250 A would be appropriate.
We normally recommend Class T fuse and holder between the battery and the inverter.
Blue Sea make good ones.
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you. Greatly appreciated. So that 32V marking on the fuse doesn't pertain to the 12V system?

Below is one of generic diagrams for a "Component" system with paralleled batteries.
It indicates where Fuses/Breakers should be located within the system.
It does not show Solar Panel interconnection. Solar Power IN must also be through a Fuse or Breaker. This is rated for the Max Amps the solar can provide. There are in-line MC4 fuses available, as well as DC Breakers.
- Each battery needs to be fused. A Simple clean solution for 12V & 24V is to use MRBF Fuses hung off the DC BUSBARS.
- Battery Cables should be identical in length, from Batts right through to inverter, excluding shunt/switches/fuses.
- Keep DC Wires together to prevent EMI/RFI noise !!!
- Use Proper Quality busbars, not those "cheapo pairs for $45" !
!! NOTE !! Fuses & Breakers are NOT something to cheap out on EVER ! BlueSea products =Eaton/Bussman
!! Cheap busbars can lead to many issues. PLEASE watch this video here
as he shows it nicely.
!! DC Breakers are now Polarized (safer) and again, stick to Quality Pieces only... Midnite SOlar has a full like of Top Quality ones but they are $.

Battery Fusing:
If you have a 100AH battery, they can generally output a max of 100A for 1 hour. If you have 2 or more batteries in a Bank, you can fuse them accordingly... 100AH Battery to get 100A fuse, 200AH battery gets 200A fuse.
YES you can have different sized LFP in a Bank BUT best not to be 100AH difference otherwise things can get complicated (lots of math).
YES you can add batteries later without issues LFP is not subject to the same issues as Lead Acid.

Parallel System-setup PNG.png

Back