diy solar

diy solar

Hi, I'm new to the forum but I hope to learn from others.

JohnCR

I'm new to the forum and I am looking to learn from experienced people. I started reading up on solar and wind power last July to see if I could help my niece with her system. She bought a fully off-grid place a couple years ago but never learned to service it and it started needing work. I also just decided I wanted to learn about solar and wind power.
Well I am now working on my own grid-tie system. It will be a small system to start out. I am looking at about 600 to 1000 watts just to offset my electric bill a bit. I'll be watching for any thing I can learn.

I started out with the same goal of reducing my electric bill. When you get started, my recommendation is to make sure that you plan on expandability. Make sure that you purchase quality equipment that you can add to as you desire. I started with 10 panels and now have 30. I started with 16 LifePO4 280 AH Cells and now have 128.

You can see what I am getting at. Once you get started at reducing your bill then it will become apparent that rather than just reducing your electric bill you can eliminate it.

Just a few suggestions

1- Enjoy working on it and do it slowly with a lot of caution.
2- Purchase quality equipment. Expect it to cost a bunch but then you only pay for it once and it will last.
3- Decide on an area to put it all in that will work for you.

am looking at about 600 to 1000 watts just to offset my electric bill a bit. I'll be watching for any thing I can learn.
Solar has a lot of upsides, but costing less than grid power is not one of them.

I’m not saying don’t do it, but just be aware that upfront especially with batteries is expensive, comparatively. The ROI can be out there quite a few years unless solar enables savings in other areas.
But diy can be 1/3 to 1/2 and ‘installer’ price.

Back