diy solar

diy solar

How to gauge inverter quality

bds70

As I move to redesigning my system to a 48v one, I have been looking at pure sine wave inverter chargers, I currently have 2 Victron Multiplus 12v which I will be selling.

The disparity between price of various Inverters is bewildering. I have attached two screenshots. According to the advertising and described capabilities both would do for my new system. (RV totally off grid)

What are members views on choosing a unit that will not break the bank but will be safe, deliver the required power and versatile to accept shore, generator, or solar power and charge batteries as required.

I understand that it is a subjective question but I am sure that I shall learn from your answers

Wherever you may be, please stay safe and have a peaceful holiday.

Thanks from Australia.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-160648.png
    Screenshot_20231221-160648.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20231221-161333.png
    Screenshot_20231221-161333.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 20
For a aio type unit my mpp units have done well for me, I also bought 2 multiplus victron units due to their robust performance, each one cost 3x the cost of the mpp aio units but the quality is supposed to be better which I believe is true, they will have a lower idle power consumption and will handle a surge better than the mpp units, with all of that being said I just had to send one of my victron units back it shit the bed after 3 to 4 hours of use.

the failure of the victron unit I feel was a fluke and I’m still impressed with the units but it shows any of these units can have issues, due to that I’m a big fan of redundancy being a totally off grid system

so my votes are mpp for more bargain minded and victron for heavy duty longer term

In the RV world (which I am in), I think Victron really shines!

Here are my main reasons for really liking Victron.
Low idle draw
Low frequency inverter
Software updates (it is amazing the new features that have been added since I bought my equipment (at no charge).
VRM
Warranty
System info
Good app.
Assistants and other programming
The biggest downside was the original cost.

If I ever build an off-grid house-I am pretty sure it would be a Victron system.

If it breaks can you send it in and get it repaired?
Well given recent events of an internal fire in a Victron MPPT, which Victron are not even willing to converse with me about regarding cause etc, I would suggest that point is moot.

Well given recent events of an internal fire in a Victron MPPT, which Victron are not even willing to converse with me about regarding cause etc, I would suggest that point is moot.
Do you have a thread on this? Would be interesting to read the details. As operating 3 SCCs, and a DC to DC converter on my RV, I’m interested in the why this happened.
What are members views on choosing a unit that will not break the bank but will be safe, deliver the required power and versatile to accept shore, generator, or solar power and charge batteries as required
I would recommend Something that is certified. In the US for RV systems, this is UL458. There’s a lot more, but that is one thing I wanted in the inverter. Aside from the neutral ground bonding that comes with it, I saw a video of cheaper inverters going up in flames when performing at rated loads.

Do you have a thread on this? Would be interesting to read the details. As operating 3 SCCs, and a DC to DC converter on my RV, I’m interested in the why this happened.

I would recommend Something that is certified. In the US for RV systems, this is UL458. There’s a lot more, but that is one thing I wanted in the inverter. Aside from the neutral ground bonding that comes with it, I saw a video of cheaper inverters going up in flames when performing at rated loads.
Didn't put a detailed thread on the fire, suffice to say that it was a Victron 150/85 MPPT suddenly caught fire. Been fine for 7 yrs. Supplier gave me a new one, but no explanations forthcoming from either supplier or Victron. Lucky we were in the bus at the time.

Forgot the photos

Attachments

• PXL_20231203_034912721.jpg
    PXL_20231203_034912721.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20231203_025151289.jpg
    PXL_20231203_025151289.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 10
Didn't put a detailed thread on the fire, suffice to say that it was a Victron 150/85 MPPT suddenly caught fire. Been fine for 7 yrs. Supplier gave me a new one, but no explanations forthcoming from either supplier or Victron. Lucky we were in the bus at the time.
7 years. not so bad I think. Whats the lifespan of charge controllers, and whats the warranty?

As I move to redesigning my system to a 48v one, I have been looking at pure sine wave inverter chargers, I currently have 2 Victron Multiplus 12v which I will be selling.

The disparity between price of various Inverters is bewildering. I have attached two screenshots. According to the advertising and described capabilities both would do for my new system. (RV totally off grid)

What are members views on choosing a unit that will not break the bank but will be safe, deliver the required power and versatile to accept shore, generator, or solar power and charge batteries as required.

I understand that it is a subjective question but I am sure that I shall learn from your answers

Wherever you may be, please stay safe and have a peaceful holiday.

Thanks from Australia.
- Idle draw as others have mentioned.
- Fan noise (because they use cheaper components and/or run them at or above their limits which requires a lot of airflow to keep them cooled). There's been threads on this forum where people have gone to extreme lengths to keep their "cheap" all in ones cool.
- Cheaper components.. i.e. almost nobody checks the ratings of the capacitors, resistors etc for what is being used. Most people don't realize there is large differences in capacitors for instance, such as life expectancy at certain temps, voltage ranges, type, etc. You think a system focused on price is going to use that capacitor rated at 500 hours or 5000 hours at expected operating temp? People just look at the outside and the specs and think that is enough to compare something.

You can have same argument about blue jeans.. "those $7 blue jeans at Walmart don't look any different then those $70 ones at X".. and then you later realize one lasts a lot longer then the other.

- Idle draw as others have mentioned.
- Fan noise (because they use cheaper components and/or run them at or above their limits which requires a lot of airflow to keep them cooled). There's been threads on this forum where people have gone to extreme lengths to keep their "cheap" all in ones cool.
- Cheaper components.. i.e. almost nobody checks the ratings of the capacitors, resistors etc for what is being used. Most people don't realize there is large differences in capacitors for instance, such as life expectancy at certain temps, voltage ranges, type, etc. You think a system focused on price is going to use that capacitor rated at 500 hours or 5000 hours at expected operating temp? People just look at the outside and the specs and think that is enough to compare something.

You can have same argument about blue jeans.. "those $7 blue jeans at Walmart don't look any different then those $70 ones at X".. and then you later realize one lasts a lot longer then the other.
Except if those $70 jeans last 5 yrs, and the $7 ones last a year, and U replace them every year, your still better of by $35 over the 5 yrs.
Price is not always an accurate determinant of value.

Back