diy solar

diy solar

House System Battery Box- Hoffman

Zwy

Solar Wizard
Ran across a deal on a large Hoffman electrical box for $200 on Craigslist. I've been looking for something to house the two 48V 280Ah batteries I'm currently building for use in my house. I wanted something that was enclosed, could fit 16 cells long in a series string so it had to be around 49 inches long with any compression fixture on the cells. The box will have fire suppression installed plus smoke detection that will trigger the whole house. I looked at many options, then hit upon the electrical box and found this, note it is laying down in the back of the truck. I didn't get the forklift out today to unload it as the wind is blowing 30 mph. Hoffman box.jpg

This is what it looks like opened. Hoffman box open.jpg

My first intentions were to stand it up in my basement, then add shelves inside, I could have 3 48V banks with enough space in between shelves to remove an individual cell, 10 inches in between top of bank and shelf above it. I would have to have the threaded rod run thru the sidewall to tighten the compression fixture, I can fit everything in there but only have about 1/2 inch to spare on each end. I would just use the cabinet wall as one end of the compression fixture, saves on material too. The wall would be insulated from the cell sidewall like I always do on my compression fixtures.

But I was looking at it tonight and thinking why not lay it flat, cut it in two and then weld up the sides, making 2 separate boxes. The box opening is 57 inches tall. Laying this on it's back would allow the complete compression fixture and cells to fit inside as this would now be a chest. I would be limited to the 2 48V packs however with no expansion.

I could install up to 4 shelves closer together if I leave this all in one piece and have 5 48V banks. Currently our daily usage runs about 12 to 14Kw and days the dryer or dishwasher is run we see up to 18Kw for the day. PV array is 8.2Kw and the dryer or dishwasher would be run in the daytime and not without PV input. I'm not certain if we remain at the 2 bank size or not as I might add a garage on the house with electrical boiler to heat the floor with excess PV or add heat pumps in the house for use in the fall and spring. We heat with LP here, not unusual to see -30F in the dead of winter. If I were to heat with heat pumps in the dead of winter, it would require a ground source setup.

Knowing all this, would you consider halving this cabinet or leaving intact with the idea that future expansion down the road might be coming? Space is limited in basement. If we did add on to the house, all of the solar would be moved up in the garage area in a small utility room.

Just throwing this out there for opinions as some of you have been thru expansions and might shed some light on what you did.

Nice find. Without knowing the dimensions of your assembled battery, it's hard to say what is best. Maintaining separate compartments would be good for safety. I like the idea of using the cabinet wall as one end of the compression fixture.

Nice find. Without knowing the dimensions of your assembled battery, it's hard to say what is best. Maintaining separate compartments would be good for safety. I like the idea of using the cabinet wall as one end of the compression fixture.
It was a great find. If you put 16 cells in a row, it takes the full width of the cabinet. An assembled battery with one 3/8" aluminum end plate with 1/8" Poron in between cells comes to 47.25 inches compressed with the nut for for the rod on the outside of the plate. Inside the cabinet is 48 inches. I definitely will be using the cabinet wall as one end plate, easy access to tighten it. I decided I wanted all cells in a row, compression fixture is so much easier to make and I don't need an insulator needed between 2 rows of 8 cells . I found in my 24V battery build, putting insulator material between cell sides required a custom made busbar to cross over. Plus the end plates would need to be heavier if no rods in the center. If you put a rod at the top and bottom in the center, it needs a shelf for clearance on the bottom rod (which works well for installing a heating pad, which isn't needed for this project) and the top rod has to clear the busbar on the crossover, plus the front plate can require a port to run cables thru, like I did on the TC build. That's OK if you want a cover over the assembled pack, I don't need it on this build due to the cabinet. 24V system.jpg

I've decided to leave the cabinet full width. If we were to add on to the house at a later date (which is most likely), then everything would get moved out of the basement. Plus, I might add another ground mount array and want to add more batteries to run heat pumps in the future. I can easily put in shelving and have 4 or 5 48V 16S 280Ah batteries from top to bottom and still have room for fire suppression and smoke/heat detection. I'm a firm believer in a safe build, looking at some of the builds with just wood causes some concern. All it takes is one loose connection and having a potential fire that causes severe property loss. This cabinet is heavy, made completely of 12 ga steel including the doors. Only weighs 400 lbs, I'll be taking the doors/center post and stands off the bottom when I move it down the stairs. https://hoffman.nvent.com/products/enca62h4810lp3pt

I found another cabinet like it in stainless by Green Bay for $1700. Just in case you are interested. :)

Back