diy solar

diy solar

How can Current Connected improve?

Shipping varies wildly.

A trucking company may sell their shipping of a pallet through a broker for $100, but charge you $300 when you go direct with them.
That has happened to me when I received a shipment of eBay purchase, liked the shipping price, told another vendor to send via that company. (some years ago, numbers may have changed but concept is the same.)
Maybe brokers are consolidators, pack many LTL into one truck, I'm not sure.

Shipping a 1500# pallet from Canada to San Jose, seller got a quote around $700. I checked with FedEx and it was $8000. Another carrier did it for me for about $350.

As a customer, somethings I want something fast so as to not hold up my build, other times I couldn't care less and just want the cheapest.

Some dealers offer cheap shipping and others do not.
There is no free lunch. A business must meet costs regardless. They can cut costs by reducing service, paying less, raising prices, finding a location in a low rent district, the list goes on an on. I for one don't paying a touch more if a motivated employee decides to stay with the company, learn more and provide better quality service than their competitor.

There is no free lunch. A business must meet costs regardless. They can cut costs by reducing service, paying less, raising prices, finding a location in a low rent district, the list goes on an on. I for one don't paying a touch more if a motivated employee decides to stay with the company, learn more and provide better quality service than their competitor.
Good for you

This is getting really bizarre.

There is a thing called a bottom line. It is the combination of at least 3 items, on any product you try to sell.

If your bottom line is less than your competition, you will sell product.
If your competition has a lower bottom line than you do, they will sell product.

I'm done trying to help here.

Support sales tax exemptions. I sent in my Texas sales tax exemption form (farm) and was told it does not apply to solar equipment. I didn't bother to argue, I just took my business elsewhere :)

This route protection thing needs to be defaulted "off" in my opinion. I didn't realize it was optional until I got to the final checkout screen and I think most people make their decision to buy based on looking at the cart price where it calculates shipping, tax, etc. The route thing is making the prices look higher than they actually are during the decision-making step ;) (unless of course someone actually wants it, then they can opt-in).

Just a friendly suggestion...

Screenshot_6.jpg

Last edited:
Shipping varies wildly.

A trucking company may sell their shipping of a pallet through a broker for $100, but charge you $300 when you go direct with them.
That has happened to me when I received a shipment of eBay purchase, liked the shipping price, told another vendor to send via that company. (some years ago, numbers may have changed but concept is the same.)
Maybe brokers are consolidators, pack many LTL into one truck, I'm not sure.

Shipping a 1500# pallet from Canada to San Jose, seller got a quote around $700. I checked with FedEx and it was $8000. Another carrier did it for me for about $350.

As a customer, somethings I want something fast so as to not hold up my build, other times I couldn't care less and just want the cheapest.
not to hijack the thread but freight101.com small business transport. free quotes without an account and in my experience Always the cheapest option. If you live rural with limited local docks, like me everything comes in from the same 2 or 3 lines for the last leg anyways. I have tried to quote through ALL of the lines that regularly deliver to me anyway they're always 2-3x as much as an SBT quote.

I’m trying to order some stuff {Inverter,Cerbo , etc) from you, but I have some questions. I tried to call, but the person hung up on me after I asked my first question (it was about getting a replacement board for a BMV-712). I decided to give it a second try and message you on your instagram and got no response. Are you guys having a rough patch?

I’m trying to order some stuff {Inverter,Cerbo , etc) from you, but I have some questions. I tried to call, but the person hung up on me after I asked my first question (it was about getting a replacement board for a BMV-712). I decided to give it a second try and message you on your instagram and got no response. Are you guys having a rough patch?
I certainly don't think that we are going through a rough patch, and if you were hung up on that is absolutely unacceptable. If you could DM me your phone number, I will pull the call recording and get to the very bottom of this. Any unprofessional behaviors are handled immediately. We take matters like this extremely seriously.

Edit: 1/13/24 - upon further review of call recordings and emails, this employee is no longer a support representative of our company.

Last edited:
I certainly don't think that we are going through a rough patch, and if you were hung up on that is absolutely unacceptable. If you could DM me your phone number, I will pull the call recording and get to the very bottom of this. Any unprofessional behaviors are handled immediately. We take matters like this extremely seriously.
I sent you a message. I am not angry or anything, I just want to get my project going and I don’t get a lot of time on the phone during the day for personal stuff, so I switched to messaging when the phone call didn’t work.

I sent you a message. I am not angry or anything, I just want to get my project going and I don’t get a lot of time on the phone during the day for personal stuff, so I switched to messaging when the phone call didn’t work.
For the record, the agent certainly did hang up the call too early. I am having a meeting with the manager of sales/tech support and the employee first thing tomorrow morning, followed by a team meeting to make sure everyone knows how this mistake happened and how to keep it from happening. This is not acceptable and I do appreciate it being brought to our attention! If there are any further concerns, you guys know where to find me.

Last edited:
For the record, the agent certainly did hang up the call too early. I am having a meeting with the manager of sales/tech support and the employee first thing tomorrow morning, followed by a team meeting to make sure everyone knows how this mistake happened and how to keep it from happening. This is not acceptable and I do appreciate it being brought to our attention! If there are any further concerns, you guys know where to find me.
I have to say that I respect you for acknowledging the issue. Thank you for being responsive.

If anyone has been following, Jason from Current Connected followed up with me today and was very helpful. He answered all of my questions, and even saved me a little money! Finally going to have one of them fancy inverter thingies in my trailer!
I'm glad we could get you squared away, if you need anything in the future let me know. Thank you for your business and understanding in this situation we have taken the proper steps to ensure this doesn't happen again.

If anyone needs help with anything regarding Current Connected feel free to send me a message. I check my account each morning when I come in.

Nice to see Current Connected now selling both Midnite Rosie and Samlex inverters! They seem to be focusing on higher quality products ;)

I bought a $60,000 Victron/SOK system from you in May 2023.

2x Victron 10k Quattro Inverters in split phase
2x Victron MPPT charge controllers 450v/200a
Victron Power In, Distributor, Shunt
Victron Cerbo GX with 7" display
15 (3 racks) of SOK 48v LiFePO4 batteries
56 Aionrise 330w panels
Numerous cables, PV disconnects, fuses, accessories, etc.
1000 ft of PV cable

Initial shipment was pretty good. I was missing one set of 9" battery connect cables, Mega fuses, and I received two spools of black wire instead of red and black as we had discussed.
When I contacted you about the missing items, you corrected everything immediately. Customer service was excellent and top notch.

I had five month or so delay until I was ready to install the system.
I asked for a one line diagram of my system to assist with installation, but you said you don't send out one line diagrams for liability reasons.
I thought this was odd, but ok.
I thoroughly read all of the documentation included with the Victron components.
The $25,000 worth of SOK batteries did not include any documentation, other than an inspection/certification sheet.

I quickly realized that the Victron components are modular, and can be used in multiple ways in many different types of systems (off grid, grid tie in, whole house back up, marine, industrial, mobile- van life, etc).
Their instructions were component specific, and did not account for an overall system functionality.

I saw that YouTubers Ambition Strikes installed a similar system to mine. I contacted them and asked if they had a one line diagram of their system that might be of help to me.
They contacted you instead, and you ended up sending me a very simplified one line diagram for a different system, but close enough to mine to be helpful. The one line diagram did not include communication cables.

As a first time installer, I was really looking for some accurate documentation.
You offered to walk me through the communication cable installation once I had my main system configured.
The Victron units all came with various cables, and there were also many blue ethernet cables provided separately.
This was all very confusing, even with multiple phone calls, including being told that none of the Victron cables were to be used, which is not the case (Cerbo GX).
Now that I've done it once, I could do it again easily without assistance.
But doing it the first time was a handful, and created some anxiety due to the lack of documentation and instructions.

The PV disconnects are not labeled with polarity. I had to take one apart to see that the red wire from the top input crosses over to the other side, and the black top input also crosses over to the opposite side.
There was no wiring diagram included with the PV disconnect, which would have made everything much easier.
I followed the colors, which resulted in connecting PV input to the charge controllers with the wrong polarity, which obviously did not work.
I had to take it all apart again and do continuity checks through the switch with a multimeter to see how it worked. Positive PV input comes in to a red wire and exits the switch via a black wire on the opposite side. Negative input comes into the switch black, and leaves via red wire on the opposite side of the switch. This made me crazy for a bit. When I called, the tech on the phone did not know how the switches worked, and could not access a wiring diagram. I was able to figure it out myself with a multimeter, but now I have a red wire going to my negative input on my charge controller, and black going to my positive. I'll make new cables when I get more MC4 connectors and make it right. But why don't the PV disconnects have any polarity markings or lables?

The SOK batteries have a menu system, and there are start up procedures that are important, otherwise battery damage can result.
In addition, the battery bank has DIP switches that must be set for proper communication. And there are torque specs for the battery lugs.
None of this information is provided with the batteries. No documentation at all came with the batteries.
I did, however, find information on your website including a chart for the DIP switches.
I found out that there is an app to monitor the batteries by PC. But it requires a specialty cable, which is not included with the system.
If someone (me) buys $25,000 worth of batteries, throw in the cable, or at least tell me about this option and give me the opportunity to order the cable when I purchase the batteries. But at that dollar figure, I'd just throw one in if I were you.

When I finally had it all together, system startup was difficult.
There are charge controllers, inverters, batteries, the Cerbo GX, PV disconnects, etc, etc.
There were no overall instructions on how to start up or commission the system.
Again, after doing this once, I could do it a thousand times without any help. But the first time requires some accurate information and documention, which was not provided.
I ended up having issues with the inverter capacitors charging, causing the SOK batteries to go into alarm, and I had several SOK battery breakers tripping.
I don't like having safety trips and shutdowns on expensive, undocumented equipment!!
I read the procedure on your website about how to start up the batteries and didn't have any luck following the procedure.
I was informed I needed to have a pre-charge resistor to follow the manual pre-charge procedure to prevent damage to the batteries.
I was in rural Texas. I spent two hours on the phone calling every store in every town near us. Not a single store carried basic electronic components like resistors. I even called HVAC service companies to see if they had any, nope.
As it turns out, the 10watt 10 ohm resistors are less than a dollar.

PLEASE - since you know these systems sometimes require a manual pre-charge, do these things:
1 - inform your customers up front. Include documentation with the system. I had to figure all of this out by perusing information in various links on your website, and through countless phone calls to your office. Just include documentation with the system and prevent 90% of the headaches.

2 - Include a 60 cent pre-charge resistor with a $60,000 system. You know it might be necessary. I spent hours trying to come up with a resistor and was unable to. I had to wait until the next day when I had some PV input to pre-charge the inverter capacitors, and then my batteries came on line without alarms or tripped breakers.

3 - When I added another string to my system a month later, I had to shut everything down. Upon start up, my 15 batteries all went into alarm again, and some breakers tripped as well. But by this time, I had acquired my own pre charge resistors (about $6 for ten of them on Amazon).
I followed the pre-charge procedure in your online SOK manual and it didn't work. I tried a different resistor (they came in a pack of ten), still didn't work. I tried two resistors in series. Didn't work. I again had to wait until the next day when I had PV input to get the batteries to come online without alarms or tripped breakers.

Through all of this, your tech customer service was helpful. Being able to call in and ask questions and get guidance in real time was the difference between me getting my system up and running vs. not.
I give you guys a big shout out for your willingness to be on the phone and to provide help.

BUT>>>>>>>
You can avoid most of that by just providing documentation with the system.
And when I say documentation, I mean assembly instructions, configuration instructions, start up process including what to turn on first, what to turn on second, etc. Include the stinking 60 cent resistor since you know they will be needed sometimes (even though I cannot get the manual pre-charge procedure to work, following it step by step while watching your video about doing it).

Include an accurate one line diagram with a $60,000 system.
Is that too much to ask when spending that much money?
Include communication connections instead of leaving them out because you think it is simple.
Yes, after doing it, it is not difficult.
Before doing it once, it is extremely confusing, especially since Victron includes cables that end up not being used.

Will I buy from Current Connected again? Absolutely.
Will I recommend people go to you? Yes, and I have.
But please make the effort to include some documentation, one lines, and instructions with these very expensive systems.
I lost 10 years off my life in stress and anxiety trying to put this system together and commission it, getting alarms and tripped breakers.
Not knowing what components to turn on when, or in what order...
All of that could have been avoided with some simple instructions, and saved both me and your technicians hours of time spent on the phone.

Last edited:
Back