diy solar

diy solar

How do you do your own Structural Engineering report for roof mounted solar panels

Off Gridin' It

I build off grid mobile solar systems for a living for RVs, Vans, Skoolies and Tiny homes.
You don't need a structural engineering report for these types of installations.

However, I have decided to take my own home off grid and it is in town and I will do all the work myself.
The city I live in requires a Structural Engineering report for roof mounted solar panels. No other permits are needed.
I want to do this myself and rather then pay $1000 to $2000 for the report if I can. Plus after I learn how to do this I can then offer this as a service.

That being said does anyone know of any resources I can dig into to learn how to do this or if you have done it yourself I would love to pick your brain.
Beside solar I also own a residential development company and have a long history of building and construction to go along with solar.
So I do have the skill set needed. I just need a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks

Almost by definition you can’t do this. I presume you’re not a PE (Professional Engineer), and if you were, you’d likely be in a conflict of interest.

What you can do is contact various companies that can do this, and see what you can do to make their job as simple and as cheap as possible.

See if permit process has an exception.
For me in San Jose CA, if PV array is no more than 40 lbs per attachment point and no more than 18" high, then no mechanical permit needed.

If required, it is possible you can tabulate dimensions and calculations, prepare the report, and have a PE sign off.
Much easier if you can find an example of one that was acceptable.

Most permit apps that require an engineering plan need that licensed stamp.

If you know the calcs and specs and the appropriate ‘chapter’ references to cite and can draw architectural/engineering docs you can probably get a ‘stamp’ from a PE.

I’ve gotten permits signed off on by the jurisdictional code office without an engineering stamp three times. Stamps weren’t required for these situations but citations and specifying of materials and supplies were. Along with the ANSI and IBC references and the math to demonstrate that the code requirement was met.

I can’t do that for everything but being an estimator with NAHB and other training and a lot of plan reading over the years and some experience drawing architectural plans did give me a more than cursory idea of what I needed. (Compliance work was part of several positions I’ve held)

In your case you may have the skillset. I don’t know. Regardless, if you need a stamp you probably can’t do it yourself.

If you have a relationship with a code officer and talk about it- you might be able to get it signed off without a stamp if you can draw and write bin the manner they expect.

In my permitting process they required a licensed Engineer, so I don't see how you can do that yourself. In my case, I found an engineer that would that for me in NC. He came over, took a look at my roof and attic (like just stuck his head in the attic), wrote the report saying that it was fine, and charged me $300 bucks. Nice chap. Took 30 minutes.
I commented that I had a shingle roof and had just replaced it with metal and that the shingles were most likely heavier than the panels. He agreed with me.

So many variables like location etc, to me the most important one after if your local and state agencies allow it, is what does your homeowners insurance company say?

Back