diy solar

diy solar

How exactly does grid-tied hybrid inverter detect loss of grid?

That seems beg the question, how much wiggling can the grid take as more and more residential solar wigglers are added? Do solar farms wiggle? 🤔
Us non-wigglers want to know.
A high DERS grid will probably need synchronous condensers and those will provide stability.

Kauai, one of the only true high DERS islanded grids, has converted their oil turbine to be able to freewheel in condenser mode. The UK is deploying standalone condensers as well.

So the next question is 'how'? what component is actually doing this - presumably a MOSFET or IGBT?
Just relays.
Ah! I meant how does it try and change the frequency and monitor the resistance to doing that :) I may have studied electronics a long time ago, but I know that can't be done with a relay ;)

Same way sine wave current is driven, PWM of SMPS to vary current so proportional to voltage. Anti-islanding can include sending "wrong" amount of current and noting grid impedance, how much voltage response. Maybe analyzing it in frequency not just time domain (lead/lag of capacitive/inductive load.)

Well, relays can create frequencies. By chattering and arcing.

Ah! I meant how does it try and change the frequency and monitor the resistance to doing that :) I may have studied electronics a long time ago, but I know that can't be done with a relay ;)
Ah, well, no idea 🤣
The inverter uses IGBTs, but besides that, there's a big DSP loaded with mysterious firmware...

Ah, well, no idea 🤣
The inverter uses IGBTs, but besides that, there's a big DSP loaded with mysterious firmware...
(y) or maybe the secret fans in the Solis fanless-design push the electrons around in the inverter? ;)

Back