diy solar

diy solar

How frequently does your solar system need attention?

Also 60kWh - about $150 per kWh, and you can make it cheaper still.
and that is great.

When I was looking for a battery system some 5-6 years ago, all the batteries from 'mainstream" vendors, it was $700 to $900 per kwh.

Nope not for me, so I looked and looked and found the Tesla solution. When I bought the modules, they ranged from $1150 to $1350 each. adding in the $3600 battery controller (see link in sig) after 4 modules I was near $300/kh

today same modules can be had for $550 to $700 per modules now. Each 5.2kwh.
example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1746548443...NZErUvJtkg+jwNCqKXmk9NIQ==|tkp:Bk9SR_SW8NOgYg

So adding more modules to my system today fits in the $125/kwh range. sweet

love this tech

I am trying to get an idea of how reliable properly installed off-grid solar systems from a reputable company are. How different is it from simply depending on the grid?

Under normal usage how often do you need to interact with system to keep it running well? Once a month? Once a year? And is it something simple such as "click to reset" or is it usually more complicated?
I just water the batteries every 3 months and spray off dust and bird dropping here and there. Small inverter generator to charge batteries if cloudy or snowy for 3-4 days. Check torque on terminals about every 6 months.

Plus, in my experience- and I’m not an electrician or EE- it has scared me over the years (and lately, retroactively read: neutral-ground bonding, multiple ground rods) how narrow an understanding many electricians have which excludes things out of the norm, or how many industrial and residential electricians can’t properly wire a boat or low-voltage dc camper.
They know what they do and that’s about it.

@timselectric isn’t too far from you - on the map. Don’t know if he needs to be PA papered, or not…:)

Or there is a “find somebody” thing on this site now.

Or pay my gas, moderate daily, and consumables and I’d drive down for a working vacation LOL

This is a diy site- I’m betting you can do this
Oh, I can perhaps figure it out and design something that will work, but I prefer to pay someone else to let the magic smoke out if needed.;)
I am on this DIY site because the few installers around are all doing the same Enphase or SolarEdge based grid tied systems with their respective battery and panels only. Almost proprietary.

Back