diy solar

diy solar

How frequently does your solar system need attention?

Installers are driven by fast easy installs but they are also very concerned about service calls. Most will stick with equipment that gives them the least amount of headaches or none at all.

Plus, with micro inverters, the wiring being 95% AC, any basic electrician can wire it vs a bunch of HV DC stuff that can scare someone off.

I've had to make zero support calls in the year-ish that I've had my 7.5kW grid tied Chilicon microinverter based array.

Part of the problem with bringing in your local electrician for DC work is that some, if not many, of them don't have much experience with DC. I had an electrician come out and put in one run of conduit and pull the 2 awg wire in the garage attic. Mostly it was because it was going to be a bear by myself but also I wanted to get him out here and give me some feedback. He looked it over and gave me rave reviews on the work I had done but on the DC part he admitted he didn't have a clue if it was right or not. I still think this is a niche market that a sharp electrician could carve out a nice income from, but on the other hand there is a lot of liability and the callback potential from user error is high. But that's part of why Will has been so successful with his YT and this forum. A lot of us want to do solar and don't have enough knowledge, but at least recognize we don't have enough knowledge and don't mind asking for help. Well, that and I think you have to have a little bit of that attitude that you'll tackle just about anything. Some people call it stubborn. I prefer persistent. :ROFLMAO:

Installers are driven by fast easy installs but they are also very concerned about service calls. Most will stick with equipment that gives them the least amount of headaches or none at all.
Write up the invoice..... done
Plus, in my experience- and I’m not an electrician or EE- it has scared me over the years (and lately, retroactively read: neutral-ground bonding, multiple ground rods) how narrow an understanding many electricians have which excludes things out of the norm, or how many industrial and residential electricians can’t properly wire a boat or low-voltage dc camper.
They know what they do and that’s about it.

haven't found anyone willing to do that
@timselectric isn’t too far from you - on the map. Don’t know if he needs to be PA papered, or not…:)

Or there is a “find somebody” thing on this site now.

Or pay my gas, moderate daily, and consumables and I’d drive down for a working vacation LOL

This is a diy site- I’m betting you can do this

i hope the conversion on my real house is easier... its got 8.5 kw of panels and once the payoff form the grid tie drops i will convert it to a grid assist battery backup model. biggest issue for me will be the automatic transfer switch which is mandated for all grid ties of any sort here... that will be at least 3k.
Drop the grid.
Problem solved.

Back