diy solar

diy solar

How in the world does this stop lightning?

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
I found an old lightning arrester outside in a pile of old junk wire from the previous building that was here. It looked just like this, I wish I took a picture before I smashed it with a hammer. I think it may have been this exact one, or at least the same brand.

Screenshot_20231031-113135_Chrome.jpg

Here's what's inside, my question is this, how can three wires, sunk into what looks like a ceramic plate, stop lightning?
20231031_112920.jpg
The three bare wires came out of the top to be connected to the protected device, and the wires with the "crimp" looking things were just embedded inside of that ceramic material.20231031_112917.jpg

To me, it looks like three wires separated by about a half inch of ceramic.

If anybody could explain how one of these works, I would be very grateful, I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer on any other site.

I recently installed a Siemens FS140 SPD, and that thing is quite a device, it has microcontrollers and all types of things. This little screw in doohickey has none of those, not even a single component. Maybe I'm just completely missing something, but I don't understand how that would arrest a lightning strike in any way.

Back