diy solar

diy solar

How many ground busbar is too much.

bigbrovar

Hello everyone.

Just finished some upgrades to my solar setup. It is something I diyed but I tried as much as possible to follow safety standards.

I have an earth rod which I tested to have a resistance of 14ohms.

I have a central ground busbar which serves as the termination point for all ground points in the system. Things like the solar panel chassis..

I also have 3 major ground busbars connected to the main ground busbar (installed outside close to the earth rod)

They are:
House electrical panel ground busbar
2 ground Busbar are installed on the inverter charge controller board (in the attached picture)

Busbar 1 is the busbar I installed at the top side of the system board (indicated in the picture.).
This busbar connects directly to the main ground busbar. It also has things like charge controller chassis. The House electrical distribution panel ground busbar is also connected to the Busbar 1.

Ground busbar 2 is connected to busbar 1. It has things like in inverter AC ground, PV1 and PV 2 SPD earth wire. Busbar 2 was installed close to equipment located at the base of the board, for them to have a close ground reference point.

In essence I have ground setup like this

House DB ground busbar ----> ground busbar 1 ---> Main ground busbar ---> Ground rod.

Ground busbar 2 ---> ground busbar 1.

My fear now is I have way too much ground busbar and this could lead to a ground loop in a surge situation.

Advise would be highly appreciated.

1000048812.jpg

Technically, a busbar is no different from having wire runs branching from a junction box (or outlet box), which is very common. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the conductors are all large enough and all the connections are in a tree - no loops/cycles in the connection graph.

diy solar

diy solar
Back