diy solar

diy solar

How much “future proofing” makes sense?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Specifically a Victron 150/35 makes sense for me right now. I actually have Amazon gift cards in the amount for this.
but does it make sense to wait and buy a 250/65?

35a is all I currently need. BUT it’s possible I may be adding a battery, and could expand as well. Not to mention the 250 voltage gives me some more flexibility in terms of running a higher voltage (all series) array.

turns out my site I had chosen is a bit more shaded. I may have to move further from my setup

I really think you're the only one that can answer that.

It's not like you can't use multiple charge controllers... :)

Higher voltage may not be the best choice if you're dealing with shading.

I really think you're the only one that can answer that.

It's not like you can't use multiple charge controllers... :)

Higher voltage may not be the best choice if you're dealing with shading.

the shading is why I’m now considering another site for the array. The new location is further away, thus the higher voltage will help with smaller wire.

I think the 250 voltage also gives me more options. I wish Victron made a 250/35. Smallest they make is a 250/60. Cottage neighbor bought one. It’s beautiful, lol.

the shading is why I’m now considering another site for the array. The new location is further away, thus the higher voltage will help with smaller wire.

I think the 250 voltage also gives me more options. I wish Victron made a 250/35. Smallest they make is a 250/60. Cottage neighbor bought one. It’s beautiful, lol.

Yah. I have a 250/100. There's always the RS 450... if you're made of money...

I would struggle to not get the 250/60, but it seems like a waste of money unless you have a specific plan to use it. Really depends on what you see your ultimate needs being; far to easy to end up getting the 450/100 and having no use for it.

Also remember that the best (most efficient) way to run these is at the 48v battery voltage. Compare on the specs sheets, at max battery voltage they can run at the highest watts. Because at 12v or 24v they cap out on output amps before they can get to the max watts rating they potentially can harvest (volts x amps = watts).

So then looking at watts, you can figure out dollar per watt comparisons better. The goal is to be able to get to the max watt ratings.

I also went for the 250|100 on mine, but since they are still at 12v battery bank voltage, mine are each capped at 1450w a piece. If I switched them (the two units) to 48v battery voltage, that one simple change, I could harvest and charge up to 100a at 58v on the batteries and get 5800w each (with my 8 solar panels per solar bank), which is the best performance for the money.

This is just my temp system in the RV though, so for me staying at 12v on that system seemed to make the best sense for now. But they are future proof in the sense that when I get my MPP Solar based 48v system online, if I ran out of PV inputs on that system, I could easily move the two Victron chargers over to that system and get more PV inputs (add 5800w x2 to that system).

No matter what battery voltage you're running at, it makes sense to get enough solar panels on it so it runs at the max battery amps charge rate everyday. Both of mine typically always peg out at 100a each every day, even in Winter (unless there are clouds or bad weather)...

Last edited:
And here I am thinking I’m proud of my 100/15 going from 12v and maxing it out at 24v next year, lol.

Back