diy solar

diy solar

How much is enough?

MrGreen_Jeans

I'm just about to purchase my system for my RV, that has 50 amp connection. I have room for....
10 x 200w, 2,400w/9.6kw per day generation, of panels
4-5 24v 100ah Lithium 9,600-12,000wh
In talking with the vender they brought up the point that this system would not support my fridge that is rated @ 1250w per day. That calculates out to 52w per hour. Watching Youtube one channel, Changing Lanes, installed 2000w of panels and 12,000wh of batteries. They report it is working well. I understand this is not a be all end all total off grid supply of energy, that conservation of power is part of any solar system, plan and use.
My question is of you out there with similar size systems in RV's what has your experience been?
How well dose it work?
What did you install?
How much run time are you able to obtain?
Do I need more just to operate basic things?
I want and do believe that I can run one AC at night when needed, they are rated at 1,600w.

In talking with the vender they brought up the point that this system would not support my fridge that is rated @ 1250w per day
If you want good ‘partnering’ with a vendor then find a different vendor. They’re clueless.
I run a ~60W refrigerator on ~1500W of panels (currently) and 340Ah LiFePo batteries. (I have 480Ah of batteries and a total of 5400W of panels just not everything running currently)

I also make a couple 4-cup coffee pots, run my water pump, vacuum, some tools, lights, and charge all my stuff on this system, and did that with 800W for a year, too.
question is of you out there with similar size systems in RV's what has your experience been?
How well dose it work
It works well here in Vermont. For most years (except for last winter with continuous cloudy days Nov-April) Nov, Dec, and part of Feb-March- typical weather patterns mostly- are a bit of a struggle with short days, reduced output due to sun horizon angle, and cloudiness particularly Nov and Dec but that is why I am overpaneled. I do have a generator and one of my devices is an AIO with a 60A charger but I plan to not use the generator. I’m off grid; so it’s there if I need it.
How much run time are you able to obtain?
I figure in summer I have 2-3 days of battery. In winter the furnace will use ~70Ah/day and probably about the same for fridge. So with other uses 1-1/2 to 2 days-ish. The idea i have is to make AT LEAST my daily consumption from solar, but even with 5kW of panels on the darkest days in Nov/Dec that probably won’t quite happen. But it should sorta average out; one good sunny day and I’m back on full. The generator is there for Justin. Justin Case; d‘you know ‘im?
Do I need more just to operate basic things?
You are probably ok I’m guessing.
I want and do believe that I can run one A/C at night when needed, they are rated at 1,600w
So it probs won’t be flat out for ten hours. (16kWh)
Say 50% duty?
It might work but you’ll need sunup if you do it. The a/c will kill you at 8kWh of demand.

Overall though: that system should work aside from the a/c wildcard.

Thanks for all your replies. I have since modified the "plan". I'm installing 3000w of panels and building 2 24v 302ah battery banks should give me 15kwh of battery reserve and generate about 16,800 kw per day, if I get 280w per panel x10 panels x6 hours of sun per day. Thoughts? Are my numbers off? All Victron equipment.

Back