diy solar

diy solar

How should I connect two batteries to my 6000XP.

rtasker

I have been running my 6000 XP for about six months now with no problems and plan on purchasing a second Lifepower4 battery. How should I go about connecting these two batteries and the inverter at the batteries terminal bolt? I have seen online that a lot of people connect the two battery cables (+/-) coming from the inverter to the battery bank in a diagonal configuration. It appears this kind of setup is done using all battery cables with crimped on lugs. In this configuration some of the battery terminals will have 2 lugs on them (inverter and the parallel cable going to the next battery). Is ok to have two cable lugs torque down on to one terminal bolt?

Thanks for your help,

Attachments

• IMG_1453.png
    IMG_1453.png
    787.5 KB · Views: 4
I have been running my 6000 XP for about six months now with no problems and plan on purchasing a second Lifepower4 battery. How should I go about connecting these two batteries and the inverter at the batteries terminal bolt? I have seen online that a lot of people connect the two battery cables (+/-) coming from the inverter to the battery bank in a diagonal configuration. It appears this kind of setup is done using all battery cables with crimped on lugs. In this configuration some of the battery terminals will have 2 lugs on them (inverter and the parallel cable going to the next battery). Is ok to have two cable lugs torque down on to one terminal bolt?

Thanks for your help,
You can do it the way you suggested but it’s generally accepted to use a combiner or bus bars.

If you get 2 bus bars. 1 for negative and 1 for positive.

Attach them to the wall.
Run both positive cables from each battery to one busbar.
Run both negative cables from each battery to the other busbar.

Then attach the positive and negative cables from the inverter to the respective busbars.

For two batteries you can totally use the diagonal method, just take the Positive off battery-1 and the Negative off battery-2. You'll have to stack lugs but it's only 2 of them so you should be fine. If you ever add in a 3rd battery it's best to throw in bus bars.

Thanks for your help,

It would be recommended to add external bus bars to avoid double landing on the battery terminals.

Back