diy solar

diy solar

How to AC couple Enphase IQ8 w/Battery Storage to Schneider XW Pro 6848 w/rack batteries, off-grid?

Gubman

Not so New Member
Hello all,

Currently running an Enphase roll out based on a mix of IQ8+s & IQ8Ms with 4 x 10T Encharge, a smart switch and 4C combiner. Needless to say, this can stay alive off-grid for about 2 days (48hrs) on average, given very minimal sun during consecutive days. I need more power to survive beyond 48 hours, but Enphase does not allow the addition of a 5th 10T without splitting the home into 2 separate branches, isolating the existing setup, requiring another combiner and smart switch. Enphase appears skittish to offer a coherent solution outside an Enphase hardware ecosystem - why? - reasons. Given the additional cost and inevitable system split, I have decided to attempt to incorporate a XW Pro & 48v rack batteries. Based on hours of reading & searching many forums, I see that this is possible, but have yet find anyone who has actually done it with Encharge batteries in the mix. I will call Schneider at some point, but wanted to load up with more detail prior to doing so. Anyone out there who has made the plunge? Is Schneider the way to go or is a more stable solution possible? I particularly perfer the low frequency inverter approach to complement the existing Encharge output. I am certified to install Enphase & aware of the frequency shifting incorporated to control production.

Last edited:
What's your setup?
Got tired of waiting, searching, reading, biting nails, so I bit the bullet and ordered a Schneider Conext XW PRO 6.8KW with the full PDP and insight for monitoring. Its going to get heavy! Shipper reporting 246lbs total. I'm going to throw a total of 61.44Kwh of (48v) LiFePo batteries at it, wire it up and afterwards install an additional 15.36Kwh as soon as the bank account fills up with more Benjamins. Spoke with Schneider, gave me a support email, I emailed my wiring diagram - nothing :( Went back to Enphase and they said to attach it to the grid input of the smart switch. It does make sense as the grid input must sync-up before closing its relay regardless what is on the other end. The Schneider will create its own micro-grid at 60Hz. This project may take a while to complete as I have work trips lined up in Dec. & Jan.

Yeah, Schneider doesn't provide that type support. They aren't going to design your system for you. You'd need to work with an engineer or supplier if you can't do the design work.

I'm curious what your planning to do with the Enphase batteries and transfer switch.

Are you going to wire the XW and Enphase transfer switches? Do you have a diagram to share here?

I'm not looking for a design from them, but confirmation that my existing design will not burn down the house or blow the XW :) This is what I slapped together for Schneider, per their request when speaking with support. Enphase, Schneider and documentation support this, but I would feel much better if I can get an OK from se.com (Should I not hold my breath?) One of my objectives is to have a much larger total battery load than panel output, for obvious reasons. Another one is to use the 48v as primary source and rely on the Enphase AC batteries as a secondary source once the 48s fall off due to discharge, automatically. I can easily service the 48s, but popping the lid on Enphase Encharge is a completely different affair.

Attachments

• 3Master Wiring Schneider off-grid-.gif
    3Master Wiring Schneider off-grid-.gif
    95.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Hey, just checking to see how your project is going. I'm not in your boat yet, but I will be in a few months, and would love to hear some good news.

Hello all,

Currently running an Enphase roll out based on a mix of IQ8+s & IQ8Ms with 4 x 10T Encharge, a smart switch and 4C combiner. Needless to say, this can stay alive off-grid for about 2 days (48hrs) on average, given very minimal sun during consecutive days. I need more power to survive beyond 48 hours, but Enphase does not allow the addition of a 5th 10T without splitting the home into 2 separate branches, isolating the existing setup, requiring another combiner and smart switch. Enphase appears skittish to offer a coherent solution outside an Enphase hardware ecosystem - why? - reasons. Given the additional cost and inevitable system split, I have decided to attempt to incorporate a XW Pro & 48v rack batteries. Based on hours of reading & searching many forums, I see that this is possible, but have yet find anyone who has actually done it with Encharge batteries in the mix. I will call Schneider at some point, but wanted to load up with more detail prior to doing so. Anyone out there who has made the plunge? Is Schneider the way to go or is a more stable solution possible? I particularly perfer the low frequency inverter approach to complement the existing Encharge output. I am certified to install Enphase & aware of the frequency shifting incorporated to control production.
After my Tesla 17.2KW solar panel with 40.5KW AC powerwall storage commissions, I successfully added additional 37.8KW DC DIY LIFO4 storage. Using a GSL Hybrid Inverter. I intend to capture all the production during the day by time setting the inverter to grid charge the battery, from 9am-3pm and then i use grid peak shaving feature of the inverter during the night, which i set the inverter to discharge the tesla powerwall at 1.2kw from 5:30pm to 7:30Am and the hybrid inverter will take the rest of load of the house. its been great, And I been available to charge my Model Y during the night instead of selling back to the grid during the day which electric company buy it at $0.10/kw while we buy at $0.45.

I'm not looking for a design from them, but confirmation that my existing design will not burn down the house or blow the XW :) This is what I slapped together for Schneider, per their request when speaking with support. Enphase, Schneider and documentation support this, but I would feel much better if I can get an OK from se.com (Should I not hold my breath?) One of my objectives is to have a much larger total battery load than panel output, for obvious reasons. Another one is to use the 48v as primary source and rely on the Enphase AC batteries as a secondary source once the 48s fall off due to discharge, automatically. I can easily service the 48s, but popping the lid on Enphase Encharge is a completely different affair.
The one issue I see with this plan is that the Schneider XW-Pro can only tolerate about 6,800 watts of grid tied inverter on it's output. And as I see it, the solar panels alone looks like it will total about 7,500 watts or more. Then each Encharge-10 battery unit is 12 more inverters at about an amp each. This goes way past what a single XW-Pro is going to be able to grid form.

The one issue I see with this plan is that the Schneider XW-Pro can only tolerate about 6,800 watts of grid tied inverter on it's output. And as I see it, the solar panels alone looks like it will total about 7,500 watts or more. Then each Encharge-10 battery unit is 12 more inverters at about an amp each. This goes way past what a single XW-Pro is going to be able to grid form.
Gary,

I see that you have IQ7s paired with an XW Pro. I have 2 XW pros paired with IQ8+. I am having problems getting the IQ8s to turn on when off grid. Did you use a special PV inverter profile?

I currently have the iQ7's set to "CA Rule 21 VW FW" or something like that. With their latest software update, I can't look at the grid profiles any more. It's not perfect. My XW-Pro is still on an older software rev and it does have an issue. During my last grid outage, 5 of my iQ7's kept going offline from frequency errors. When I tried to kick some heavy loads on to see if it would help stabilize the system, the XW dropped to 57 Hz and just stayed there. That caused the rest of the iQ7's to go offline. The next suggestion was to power cycle the XW-Pro, but since it was still powering my network and PC it meant I would not be able to see what it's doing. As I was trying to figure out how to get this done, the grid power came back up and every went back to 60 Hz and working perfectly again. The newer XW-Pro firmware claims to be far more stable for AC coupling and holding the correct frequency. I am hesitent to shut my system down to do the update, but I need to.

Over half of my iQ7's just always seem to work ok while off grid. No idea why those always work and the others are flakey. Of course, Enphase blames Schneider and Schneider blames Enphase. The voltage waveform from the XW-Pro is very clean, and while I was off grid during the power failure, the only thing I noticed was a slight flicker in a few LED bulbs. And it was coming from the iQ7's. Once the sun went down, all the light flicker stopped. It does not make a lot of sense as my scope shows the current from the iQ7's to also be a very clean sine wave. I think it is the MPPT searching as the current from cycle to cycle goes up and down a bit, but each cycle is a clean wave. The XW-Pro is certainly not as stiff as the grid, so this slight pulsing of the current shows as a voltage pumping when it's off grid.

11 of my 16 iQ7's never seem to have a problem starting to make power on the XW-Pro, but a few of them will still drop out and restart every few minutes. It's not ideal, but we don't have too many power failures here, so I have not dug too deep into it. I am now also running 2,000 watts of panels DC coupled so no matter what the Enphase decides to do, I will still get some solar battery charging. I also needed the extra power to keep up on cloudy days and in the summer when the A/C is cranking.

I hope to get the XW-Pro firmware updated in the next month or so. If I do, I will try another off grid test and see what it does.

I currently have the iQ7's set to "CA Rule 21 VW FW" or something like that. With their latest software update, I can't look at the grid profiles any more. It's not perfect. My XW-Pro is still on an older software rev and it does have an issue. During my last grid outage, 5 of my iQ7's kept going offline from frequency errors. When I tried to kick some heavy loads on to see if it would help stabilize the system, the XW dropped to 57 Hz and just stayed there. That caused the rest of the iQ7's to go offline. The next suggestion was to power cycle the XW-Pro, but since it was still powering my network and PC it meant I would not be able to see what it's doing. As I was trying to figure out how to get this done, the grid power came back up and every went back to 60 Hz and working perfectly again. The newer XW-Pro firmware claims to be far more stable for AC coupling and holding the correct frequency. I am hesitent to shut my system down to do the update, but I need to.

Over half of my iQ7's just always seem to work ok while off grid. No idea why those always work and the others are flakey. Of course, Enphase blames Schneider and Schneider blames Enphase. The voltage waveform from the XW-Pro is very clean, and while I was off grid during the power failure, the only thing I noticed was a slight flicker in a few LED bulbs. And it was coming from the iQ7's. Once the sun went down, all the light flicker stopped. It does not make a lot of sense as my scope shows the current from the iQ7's to also be a very clean sine wave. I think it is the MPPT searching as the current from cycle to cycle goes up and down a bit, but each cycle is a clean wave. The XW-Pro is certainly not as stiff as the grid, so this slight pulsing of the current shows as a voltage pumping when it's off grid.

11 of my 16 iQ7's never seem to have a problem starting to make power on the XW-Pro, but a few of them will still drop out and restart every few minutes. It's not ideal, but we don't have too many power failures here, so I have not dug too deep into it. I am now also running 2,000 watts of panels DC coupled so no matter what the Enphase decides to do, I will still get some solar battery charging. I also needed the extra power to keep up on cloudy days and in the summer when the A/C is cranking.

I hope to get the XW-Pro firmware updated in the next month or so. If I do, I will try another off grid test and see what it does.
I went through the "installer certification" with Enphase and I now have access to the "Installer Toolkit" app on my phone. I can look at and change grid profiles from there. A mind numbing 4-6 hours, but I bit the bullet and did it. For some reason, they don't give me update access on the "Enlighten Toolkit" on the web. I think only the original installer can make updates from there.

According to Enphase data, the frequency and voltage are stable, so I think the issue is the anti-islanding. I too get some LED flicker when the Micro try to start up. It's all very stable with just just the Enphase running. I have reliable power here, but part of the reason I installed battery backup was for some worst case scenario. I have full net metering, so there is no financial reason to do some type of self consumption or time of use.

Unfortunately, from what I am hearing IQ8s don't seem to run off grid. At least not well. It sounds like IQ7s are a little better, but hardly perfect. I hope this isn't just Enphase deliberately making their inverters not work off grid unless coupled with their IQ controller and batteries. I built this system based on the advertising that it "should" work. Yes, Schneider does AC coupling with frequency shifting when the battery gets full. Yes, Enphase does power curtailment based on frequency. Unfortunately, when the rubber meets the road I can't find anyone that has actually made this work. People are having problem with Solark too. The technical support is absolutely worthless. I know far more bout this than they do.

I've been running off-grid AC coupled with the Schneider SW4024 and 3kw Enphase M215s (plus 3kw DC coupled panels) for over two years now. The M215's frequency shift is only slam-bang (on or off) - but it does work seamlessly, provided your battery bank is sufficiently sized to take the full output of the microinverters while the SW ramps the frequency up to signal a shut off. The standard 5 minute wait then begins and the process will start over - so load management is key if you want to maximize the usage of the generated power. Careful programming of Bulk/Absorption/Float voltage setting can make it relatively easy. I understand the IQ7s can ramp up and down proportionately to avoid the slam-bang aspect.

I've been running off-grid AC coupled with the Schneider SW4024 and 3kw Enphase M215s (plus 3kw DC coupled panels) for over two years now. The M215's frequency shift is only slam-bang (on or off) - but it does work seamlessly, provided your battery bank is sufficiently sized to take the full output of the microinverters while the SW ramps the frequency up to signal a shut off. The standard 5 minute wait then begins and the process will start over - so load management is key if you want to maximize the usage of the generated power. Careful programming of Bulk/Absorption/Float voltage setting can make it relatively easy. I understand the IQ7s can ramp up and down proportionately to avoid the slam-bang aspect.
Sometimes newer is not better. I have a similar situation, 3kW, (11 Enphase M250's ) AC coupled to an XW+ 6848 and interestingly enough the M250's actually "ride through" and stay active during the 8mS Schneider transfer switch delay when the grid goes down. Like the M215's they are either On or Off. It would be nice if the microinverters responded in 20% power decrements since the Schneider ramps up frequency in 0.1Hz intervals.

So I guess if I want to AC couple successfully, I need to trade my in my IQ8+ inverters for something else. My roof layout is somewhat complex meaning micro inverters are really the way to go. I naively assumed that the "latest greatest" inverters would be better able to respond to changing loads since Enphase uses these inverters for their "Day Light Solar Backup". I already have backup power through my batteries for probably 12 hours in the summer and maybe a day in the winter. I am planning on getting three more of these batteries when finances allow it will be around $4800 to get the additional batteries and maybe another $200 for the wires. The current battery setup is supposed to allow for 100 amps each which is more than 280 max the two chargers can put out. At this point it seems like maybe just buying a generator to recharge the batteries in the event of a more extended outage is far more practical. I was planning on buying a generator anyway since Dec and Jan don't produce enough solar to run independently of the grid anyway. So unless the SHTF for real and I am looking at weeks with no grid, getting the AC coupling to work is not worth the money.

I was actually considering just getting an EG4 inverter (or maybe 2) to provide backup and charging from a generator with no AC coupling. I could have done that for thousands less that I spent on the Schneider equipment. This seems to be an Enphase issue and they seem to have no interest in actually fixing it. I know that right now grid tied solar is probably 99% of the market. I believe that is going to change as more areas get saturated with solar systems. Without a battery I only consume about 1/3 of the power I produce.

During the day it is not unusual that I am using 600-700 watts and producing 8000 watts. So that means that there needs to be 10 homes without solar for every home with solar for this to work. That power you put back onto the grid has to go somewhere. Solar didn't really make sense economically in many areas until recently. With the increase in electric rates and the falling price of panels it is now at least a break even. In California with $0.40 a KWH, solar is now far cheaper. I have a great "Full 100% Net Metering" agreement. These full net metering agreement simply won't work as more people get solar. So if you want full net metering and it's still available in your area, don't wait too long or you will miss out. California had to quit net metering. Utility companies are going to have to limit solar systems sizes and restrict export of power entirely in some areas. So it would seem like Enphase would want to be able to work with battery based inverters. It looks like their strategy however is to get as many of their micro inverters out there as possible, and if you want to add batteries to their inverters later, you need to go with their batteries. It would have cost me $50,000 - $60,000 to build a 30KWH system with Enphase batteries.

Attachments

• 20230108_135234.jpg
    20230108_135234.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
So I guess if I want to AC couple successfully, I need to trade my in my IQ8+ inverters for something else. My roof layout is somewhat complex meaning micro inverters are really the way to go. I naively assumed that the "latest greatest" inverters would be better able to respond to changing loads since Enphase uses these inverters for their "Day Light Solar Backup". I already have backup power through my batteries for probably 12 hours in the summer and maybe a day in the winter. I am planning on getting three more of these batteries when finances allow it will be around $4800 to get the additional batteries and maybe another $200 for the wires. The current battery setup is supposed to allow for 100 amps each which is more than 280 max the two chargers can put out. At this point it seems like maybe just buying a generator to recharge the batteries in the event of a more extended outage is far more practical. I was planning on buying a generator anyway since Dec and Jan don't produce enough solar to run independently of the grid anyway. So unless the SHTF for real and I am looking at weeks with no grid, getting the AC coupling to work is not worth the money.

I was actually considering just getting an EG4 inverter (or maybe 2) to provide backup and charging from a generator with no AC coupling. I could have done that for thousands less that I spent on the Schneider equipment. This seems to be an Enphase issue and they seem to have no interest in actually fixing it. I know that right now grid tied solar is probably 99% of the market. I believe that is going to change as more areas get saturated with solar systems. Without a battery I only consume about 1/3 of the power I produce.

During the day it is not unusual that I am using 600-700 watts and producing 8000 watts. So that means that there needs to be 10 homes without solar for every home with solar for this to work. That power you put back onto the grid has to go somewhere. Solar didn't really make sense economically in many areas until recently. With the increase in electric rates and the falling price of panels it is now at least a break even. In California with $0.40 a KWH, solar is now far cheaper. I have a great "Full 100% Net Metering" agreement. These full net metering agreement simply won't work as more people get solar. So if you want full net metering and it's still available in your area, don't wait too long or you will miss out. California had to quit net metering. Utility companies are going to have to limit solar systems sizes and restrict export of power entirely in some areas. So it would seem like Enphase would want to be able to work with battery based inverters. It looks like their strategy however is to get as many of their micro inverters out there as possible, and if you want to add batteries to their inverters later, you need to go with their batteries. It would have cost me $50,000 - $60,000 to build a 30KWH system with Enphase batteries.
Have you tried the "Off-Grid FW60" grid profile which has anti-islanding disabled?

For the iQ7's Enphase changed anti-islanding to be more aggressive in more recent firmware versions (e.g. 04.28.xx and later) compared to earlier versions (e.g. 04.18.xx and earlier). For iQ8's, I think they always had aggressive anti-islanding. The M-series (e.g. M215, M250) are much easier to AC couple as they don't have the very aggressive anti-islanding in the iQ-series.

Have you tried the "Off-Grid FW60" grid profile which has anti-islanding disabled?

For the iQ7's Enphase changed anti-islanding to be more aggressive in more recent firmware versions (e.g. 04.28.xx and later) compared to earlier versions (e.g. 04.18.xx and earlier). For iQ8's, I think they always had aggressive anti-islanding. The M-series (e.g. M215, M250) are much easier to AC couple as they don't have the very aggressive anti-islanding in the iQ-series.
Thank you for the information. I will try that.

Want to do the same, AC couple Schneider XW's with IQ8+ and try other AC coupled inverters too.
IQ8+ AC coupling works well with FranklinWH, but they use hard PV On/Off via a PV disconnect relay instead of FW, or VW or VV .

Approaching it differently to find out what works. Have a test setup in my lab, with a single XW and a few IQ inverters from M250, IQ7PD to IQ7+ to IQ8+ connected to a separate 48V battery for emulating PV input. One wild card is the PLC communication between the IQ gateway, the IQ's and the AC output of the backup inverter. Any interference in the 100-110 kHz range could compromise the PLC. Has happened in the past with X10 or Insteon PLC devices in the home. Have ordered a dual-stage uni-directional PLC line filter to block the backup inverter from interfering with the PLC filter, but have not yet tried it. Don't buy the overpriced single-stage PLC filter from Enphase! You can get a directional dual-stage Astrodyne TDI 80A RP-240 for about $200. If you don't need 80A they make less expensive dual-stage uni-directional filters. Make sure you don't use a symmetric PLC filter and that you connect in and out properly, otherwise it will kill all PLC communications! You can also find directional 3-phase PLC filters on eBay and use only 2 phases for L1 and L1.

Actually, I recommend PLC filters in all Enphase installations so the home does not interfere with the micro-inverter PLC and the IQ gateway PLC does not RF "pollute" the home or interfere with any in-home PLC devices!

It gets a bit more complicated with the requirement to relocate the IQ gateway breaker from the IQ AC combiner into the IQ system controller or backup load panel if you use IQ8's and Enphase backup. If there is interest I can publish a line diagram.

Finally, look at what Todd - he is a great contributor on this forum - https://www.ncsolarelectric.com is doing with AC coupling. He is AC-coupling Hoymiles inverters with Enphase 3T battery backup for increased backup power and energy! Fascinating, but not yet ready for prime-time.
I really hope he get's the recognition and support to advance this. Looks like Enphase will be challenged by Hoymiles micro-inverters on several fronts.

Last edited:
Hello all,

What you want or need is not more power, you need access to more energy via extensible battery backup!

The coupling of power (inverter) and energy(battery) is a major design shortcoming or flaw or intentionally designed revenue-generating feature in the Enphase backup solution. This is where competitors like Schneider, Victron and others give you lots of flexibility with separation of power and energy, allowing you to extend battery energy storage to whatever kWh you want!

This is not what Enphase wants! It's not good for the bottom line to allow you to add and extend battery storage, possibly from other vendors!

Check out what Todd https://www.ncsolarelectric.com - also on this forum - is trying to do: add a few additional AC-coupled micro-inverters to Enphase so you have access to extensible open-ended battery backup energy!

You can also buy a low-cost off-grid backup system with extensible battery backup and feed it into the generator input of the Enphase system. It gets more complicated but is doable if you are willing to invest time and money. You need to come up with a solution to charge the backup-backup battery with energy from your backup grid. Don't tell Enphase about it, they will block it because it is not good for the bottom line. They will approve only "approved" generators. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd asked you for proof of purchase or S/N of an approved generator! What you are planning to do with the additional Schneider XW will not work, it needs to be AC-coupled into the backup panel or into the generator input, but don't know anyone who has had full success with AC coupling IQ8's and Schneider XW, I'm working on it too, have an older XW+ I'm going to try too.

Last edited:
What you want or need is not more power, you need access to more energy via extensible battery backup!

The coupling of power (inverter) and energy(battery) is a major design shortcoming or flaw or intentionally designed revenue-generating feature in the Enphase backup solution. This is where competitors like Schneider, Victron and others give you lots of flexibility with separation of power and energy, allowing you to extend battery energy storage to whatever kWh you want!

This is not what Enphase wants! It's not good for the bottom line to allow you to add and extend battery storage, possibly from other vendors!

Check out what Todd https://www.ncsolarelectric.com - also on this forum - is trying to do: add a few additional AC-coupled micro-inverters to Enphase so you have access to extensible open-ended battery backup energy!

You can also buy a low-cost off-grid backup system with extensible battery backup and feed it into the generator input of the Enphase system. It gets more complicated but is doable if you are willing to invest time and money. You need to come up with a solution to charge the backup-backup battery with energy from your backup grid. Don't tell Enphase about it, they will block it because it is not good for the bottom line. They will approve only "approved" generators. Wouldn't be surprised if they'd asked you for proof of purchase or S/N of an approved generator! What you are planning to do with the additional Schneider XW will not work, it needs to be AC-coupled into the backup panel or into the generator input, but don't know anyone who has had full success with AC coupling IQ8's and Schneider XW, I'm working on it too, have an older XW+ I'm going to try too.
This is what I am facing. I have a dual XW pro system with 35 IQ8+. I have tried some of the no-AI and Off-Grid profiles. So far no luck in getting the PV inverters to turn on when off grid. As a UPS my system works great. I could recharge my batteries with a generator and call it a day. Since we have very reliable power where I live, the cost of running a generator vs. getting this off-grid stuff to work, may not be worth it.

Still part of the reason I invested in this system was to be able to capture and use my solar when off grid. I'm not sure I could help, but if there is ever anything you want me to try let me know.

Back