diy solar

diy solar

how to be sure solar does not backfeed when grid power goes down

bat6mm

How do I design a solar system that will automatically not backfeed grid when grid power goes down but will let solar feed house wiring.

The short answer is "pick the right inverter".
If you you use a marine inverter/charger.... they are designed for exactly what you want.

Most of the inverters a pretty clear about what they will do. The MPP brand is a bit confusing but if you dig you can find out if they will back-feed or not.

You should check with your grid provider. They usually have strict rules about ensuring that won't happen for the safety of their linemen. They also usually require certification from a licensed electrician before they'll let you connect to their grid.
Edit; they may also dictate what equipment you may and may not use so I'd start with them.

Last edited:
You should check with your grid provider. They usually have strict rules about ensuring that won't happen for the safety of their linemen. They also usually require certification from a licensed electrician before they'll let you connect to their grid.
Edit; they may also dictate what equipment you may and may not use so I'd start with them.
If you choose an inverter that is certified appropriately for your country and is designed *not* to backfeed into the grid, it is 'just' another load on the circuit and should make any permissions/permits much easier.

Only shop for and purchase inverters that meet UL1741 specifications.

How do I design a solar system that will automatically not backfeed grid when grid power goes down but will let solar feed house wiring.
To better answer your question, can you tell us more about your project? How large will the system be? What are you trying to power? Do you already have equipment?

I am looking for an 120v 2kw inverter grid connection/ hybrid/ battery, Pretty much an all in one that allows one to be able to use solar by itself, with grid connection and or with or without battery. Mpps Solar makes the 5048MK version that is battery less yet it is only in 240v version.
A grid tie inverter at 2k that does allow for back feeding in to the grid would work for my applications.
My project is to wire a shop with its own independent electric circuit and allow for 120v lighting during the day light hours. High voltage at around 2kw would work for this.
My other project would be to power a mechanical controlled 120v 5000btu air conditioner that runs at full less than 600 watts. ( the lowest so far I can find is 450 give or take watts. ) As I only want the unit to run when their is sun, no need for grid or battery back up. The same applies for lights.
While cybroenergy makes some 1.2kw units that can do this they cost 1000 dollars. While their twin unit cost 2000 dollar plus.
Mpp solar makes a few units yet they are 240 or 220v plus either in the direct solar design for pumps, Or the all in one inverter that can run with out grid and batteries at the same time, Yet I also read that they are not parrable with out the battery hooked up. So you would need to have the load under their specs. They are also high voltage of 500vdc.

Last edited:
Back