diy solar

diy solar

how to load test a solar panel?

peter waroblak

I'm thinking about testing some glass shattered panels, do I need to put a load on them to test the amperage? If so how would I load them?

Attachments

• 1708365201845.png
    1708365201845.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 0
The easiest and quickest way to load test a solar panel is to do a short circuit test. You can either do it with a clamp meter that can do DC amps, or a multimeter with an amps option, but note the the multi-meter with amps option will need to be rated for high enough amperage for your solar panel!

With a clamp meter you simply plug + to - on the panel, preferably under full sun conditions, then clamp test the DC amps. Compare to the short circuit current rating of the panel to see if it's within reason close to the rating.

With a multi-meter you will simply get your leads plugged into the proper holes and the multi-meter set to amps, then insert one probe into + and the other into - from the panel. Compare the amps reading same as above.

Just a note though. Cracks on a panel will affect it's production because they cause tiny shadows, so just be sure to have all your cracked panels on their own mppt, and not paralleled with non-cracked panels, or you will likely affect production of the non-cracked ones.

Theoretically cracked panels could eventually short out internally due to water ingress, and I imagine you could actually potentially end up with ground faults and/or get shocked, if water electrically bridges from the wire traces in the cells to the frame of the panel.

Back