diy solar

diy solar

How To Measure Input Watts? Meter Recommendation

Alsworld

Hi folks,
first post. Santa is bringing me a 100W Renogy solar starter kit, one 100W mono panel, a 20 amp MPPT controller and all wiring including battery temperature sensor. This is my introduction to solar and learn/build. Starting basic. I would like to have a meter to read what wattage my panel is putting out. I have seen Will have these hooked up when comparing different solar panels but I am not sure where to get or how to wire inline (at this point).

I have inspected the kit after receiving it (for damage) but sealed it back up until after Christmas, it is a gift to me. Can anyone direct me to learn how to do this? I know it's easy but I have not learned how yet. Any assistance appreciated.

Alan

What model MPPT controller are you looking at? The units that have front panel displays will often tell you the watts coming in from the panel.

Watts/amps/volts is a trinity calculation. Know 2 of 3 can calculate the 3rd. Just a clue to go on as I always forget which is multiply and which is divide.

Watts/amps/volts is a trinity calculation. Know 2 of 3 can calculate the 3rd. Just a clue to go on as I always forget which is multiply and which is divide.
Volts (E)/Current (I)=Resistance (R)
Watts (W)/E=I
Use routine math manipulation to solve any one of the 3.

If the charge controller is renogy, simply download their app. You'll need the blutooth dongle; they run about $25.

Thanks everyone, your answers are much appreciated! Yes it is a front panel display, Renogy 20A MTTP controller. I wanted to start simple yet at least go with an MPPT controller to assist in efficiency based on Will's videos. I realize I'm only expandable to 200 watts (12V system) with this controller but got to start somewhere. At this point looking for off grid truck base camping but as you all know better than I, it keeps getting better as you know more. KISS principle.

I am looking at the Bluetooth module but will set this up late December and expand from there. Thank you.

George, I am a retired Sailor also, PRCS(AW) USN Retired. Howdy Shipmate! Thanks for the input.

Alan

SCClockDr you the DROK DC 0-300V 200A STN LCD Display Digital Multimeter Voltage Ampere Power Energy Ammeter Voltmeter Battery Volt Amp Meter AH Monitor Panel with Hall Sensor so what do you think of it?

SCClockDr you the DROK DC 0-300V 200A STN LCD Display Digital Multimeter Voltage Ampere Power Energy Ammeter Voltmeter Battery Volt Amp Meter AH Monitor Panel with Hall Sensor so what do you think of it?
I quit using it. The hall sensor was too sensitive to the earth's magnetic field. The readings would go crazy with each trailer move.

Back