diy solar

diy solar

How to monitor "dumb" BMS, Manually verify functionality

ztrain727

My apologies for back to back threads, but again, I wasn't able to find a solution here.

I have a Heltec 200A 6S BMS on a 5kw 21700 EV Module. The BMS is newly installed (thanks for the help! you know who I'm talking to!) I saw good things said about this BMS on the forum, but wish I'd done better research and gotten a JK with bluetooth or at least something easier to monitor. Water under the bridge...

What is the best/safest way to get some metrics that this unit is functioning properly? My thoughts were:

1. Discharge battery, check that BMS shuts off at "Discharge protection voltage: 2.8V"
2. Charge the battery, check that BMS shuts off at "Charge protection voltage: 4.28V" though I'm not sure the controller will let it get that high without being tweaked.
3. What about checking balancing? Can I stick a tiny wire in each pin, careful not to short, and get reading on the multimeter grounded to B-? Each series should increase by the exact same voltage if working properly, yes?

I am open to other suggestions. The unit has no connections, no LEDs, nothing to indicate it's even powered.

Is there any way to monitor from my EPEVER RJ45 connection using Solar Station Monitor? I don't think anything more than I can do with a multimeter, yeah?

Thank you very much for all the valuable information! What an amazing resource this is!

Attachments

• B031E884-5DBB-49DC-B9A7-9E7950262A38.jpeg
    B031E884-5DBB-49DC-B9A7-9E7950262A38.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
Back