diy solar

diy solar

How to run Duracell Powersource using the 30A PWM charge controller??

kohp

Hello,
So, we purchased these off amazon

1- Duracell PowerSource Quiet Gasless Portable Power and Solar Generator, 1440w Output Inverter (1800w Peak)

2- Renogy KIT-STARTER-100D Starter Kit with 1 Pcs 100W Monocrystalline Solar Panel and and 30A PWM Charge Controller for RV, Boats, Trailer, Camper, Marine,Off-Grid System

3- Renogy 20FT 10AWG Solar Panel Extension Cable with Male and Female Connectors, 20Ft. 10AWG, 1 Pair (Red and Black)

4- Renogy Bluetooth Module RJ12 Communication Port Compatible Rover/Wanderer/Adventurer Charge Controllers, BT-1 RS232

Trying to connect the solar panel 40 feet away to the Duracell powersource using the 30A PWM charge controller that comes with the kit instead of the integrated one in the. power unit.

Is this feasible and safe? if yes what would be the diagram of connection? if no, we open to your suggestions.

Thank you

Trying to connect the solar panel 40 feet away to the Duracell powersource using the 30A PWM charge controller that comes with the kit instead of the integrated one in the. power unit.
Why? I mean you could go panel -> PWM -> car battery lugs, but why wouldn't you just go panel -> unit? KISS and all.

Also, what's the BT module for? It's not going to talk to anything else you have in that list.

Why? I mean you could go panel -> PWM -> car battery lugs, but why wouldn't you just go panel -> unit? KISS and all.

Also, what's the BT module for? It's not going to talk to anything else you have in that list.
Watched Will Prowse videos on the topic concerning the Renogy 30A PWM charge controller. The BT is just supposed to facilitate reading when away from station to know what comes in and what. it is plugged into the RS232 port of the controller unit.

After also watching also this source
it explains I can directly use my controller... but did not explain how to hook the wire. When reaching out to duracell they vaguely said they have an integrated controller... but again I want to take advantage of my BT unit to not always be constrain to walk down to the station.

At this point, is just to make sure i get the wiring right, up to 40 - 50 feet and that it is efficient and safe to do so with my current tools.
Hope you get the point
Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 11.32.56 PM.png

Aaahhh, that comes with a different controller than I thought, that makes the BT module make sense. So yes, you can do it just fine, just connect the panel outputs to the Solar Input ports and the Battery Port Output to the red & black lugs on the Energizer. Just the same way you would connect the solar array to any other battery, it's just a really fancy battery you've got there. :)

Hello,
So, we purchased these off amazon

1- Duracell PowerSource Quiet Gasless Portable Power and Solar Generator, 1440w Output Inverter (1800w Peak)

2- Renogy KIT-STARTER-100D Starter Kit with 1 Pcs 100W Monocrystalline Solar Panel and and 30A PWM Charge Controller for RV, Boats, Trailer, Camper, Marine,Off-Grid System

3- Renogy 20FT 10AWG Solar Panel Extension Cable with Male and Female Connectors, 20Ft. 10AWG, 1 Pair (Red and Black)

4- Renogy Bluetooth Module RJ12 Communication Port Compatible Rover/Wanderer/Adventurer Charge Controllers, BT-1 RS232

Is this feasible and safe? if yes what would be the diagram of connection? if no, we open to your suggestions.

Thank you

I purchased one from Costco (the price difference would pay for a membership, just FYI). Duracell told me there was no problems using an external charge controller and battery, simply connect them to the provided connections on the back (labeled daisy chain terminals). Essentially those are directly connected to the 55 amp hour AGM battery internally. Very dirty power.

Duracell_image.jpg

I purchased one from Costco (the price difference would pay for a membership, just FYI). Duracell told me there was no problems using an external charge controller and battery, simply connect them to the provided connections on the back (labeled daisy chain terminals). Essentially those are directly connected to the 55 amp hour AGM battery internally. Very dirty power.

View attachment 90850
Just how bad is the output power? Did you measure THD? I thought the unit was a true sinewave output, and I was debating scrapping it or expanding it myself. The scrapping argument came after a ~10s power outage resulted in a 1kWh energy consumption over the next 12 hours to recharge the battery. (Load is about 30W.) I bought it hoping it would be useful for what it was advertised for, but it has been pretty disappointing.

Just how bad is the output power? Did you measure THD? I thought the unit was a true sinewave output, and I was debating scrapping it or expanding it myself. The scrapping argument came after a ~10s power outage resulted in a 1kWh energy consumption over the next 12 hours to recharge the battery. (Load is about 30W.) I bought it hoping it would be useful for what it was advertised for, but it has been pretty disappointing.
No, I didn't measure. I do hear the difference in the fan motor on my 300 watt draw evaporative cooler. It is nowhere near sine wave, more like a modified square wave.

It will damage a cheap Kill-a-Watt power meter, just FYI.

Last edited:
Back