diy solar

diy solar

How to set up Solar system off grid 48 volt 6kw system

BCB1

Hi I have a cabin I built in New Hampshire and Bison on the property and need to complete my Solar system install asap to keep livestock water from freezing. Need a bit of help wiring the current components please.

Growatt 48V 6KW 120/240V Split Phase Solar Inverter Built 80A MPPT Solar Charge
Qty 1
Renogy 12V 200AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery for RV Solar Marine Off-Grid Application
Qty 6

Canadian Solar Panels
Qty 20
Specs:
Optimum operating voltage 320W
Optimum operating current 36.8V
Open circuit voltage 45.3V
Short circuit Current 9.26A
Max system voltage 1000V
Max series fuse rating 15A

Generac Ecogen 15KW generator
Qty 1

Last edited:
Recommend you buy that inerter from a reputable seller. ebay sales are notoriously lacking in support and warranty.

That inverter is going to gobble up 50Ah of battery capacity just being on and with no loads.

How are you going to make 48V out of 6 12V?

Recommend you buy that inerter from a reputable seller. ebay sales are notoriously lacking in support and warranty.

That inverter is going to gobble up 50Ah of battery capacity just being on and with no loads.

How are you going to make 48V out of 6 12V?
Hmm right obviously will by 2 more batteries for 48v in series then connect in parallel

Why a 15kW generator? That's way more power than the inverter can use. Why not buy a 48V autostart generator if you are using it to tend the batteries?

I wonder if you can throw together something far simpler if you just need to a keep a stock tank from freezing. I might envision just a couple of panels wired in series, directly connected to a DC heating element like this...
1672334469288.png
Perhaps wire a thermostat, set at say 100F, in series to prevent the water from getting too hot for your animals to drink, but warm enough that the residual heat keeps the water liquid till the next morning. I suppose you can shop around for elements that operate at different voltages to match what it takes to make it work together.

Back