diy solar

diy solar

How to start putting together components for home power

beowulf

Hey all,

Been reading a lot, even picked up a Ecoflow River 2 pro + 220 watt bifacial solar panel.

I ultimately been very interested in picking up 16 of those EVE (or similar) 280ah to 302ah batteries, and putting together a 48v battery bank to power a couple things around the house. Not looking to power entire house, as I do have solar panels on the roof. But even with my 6.8kw panel setup, I am still seeing $200+ energy bills. I use computer all day, and my kids do as well.

For now though, I wanted to get started on the basics. Well, what I think are basics. I want to have the ability to set up from one to I dont know, 20 or more 200 watt panels eventually in my yard.. maybe. I am starting off with one for now, just to do some basic charging, running a 50 foot cable or so from yard through window/screen (dont own home so cant do anything beyond that for now) to my Ecoflow battery. Or at least, that is what I am thinking of doing to try to charge it during day.

What I assume I need is a good MPTT.. looking at Victron, but their are quite a few of those from $130 to about $1000;. If I understand right, the one that has 1 input but can handle like 150volts.. would allow me to combine several panel wire leads in to one.. parallel style, to the input of an MPTT? So if I start off with one panel that is 200 watts at about 21 or so volts, I can add a 2nd one later.. maybe not same brand, but so long as they are not adding up to more than about 150 volts for the input, that should be ok? I believe I would put them in series initially?

I would want some sort of input monitoring capability, and possibly a way to see the output of each panel its producing, accessible via an app if possible? Or.. I have a HomeAssistant setup usign ZWave right now for lights and plugs, but using MQTT broker, so I could possibly use that for updates via wifi if that is possible? Basically want to be able to see how much power is being generated, how much is charging the battery at any point in time (and possibly a history of it like how my Tesla solar app shows days of history).

My Ecoflow has inverter on it, but ideally once I set up the 16 eve batteries I'd likely run a pure sinewave inverter from that battery setup directly.

This is all "in my head" at this point.. just trying to sus out all the necessary components, how to wire it all up and so on.

Thanks.

Back