diy solar

diy solar

How to use access solar energy during summer ?

mvreddy48

Hi, I am wondering how other people on this forum utilize access solar energy during summer months. Some of the ideas that I utilize are as below -

1. Use portable AC in order to reduce the usage of central AC (assuming central AC is not yet on solar).
2. Use pool pumps for a few more extra hours during the high generation days.

Your input and ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.

MV

Bitcoin Mining is something that's been mentioned but those experienced with it have said that even with free electricity there's not enough return on that now-a-days to mess with it.

BTW - One thing I learnt during my Solar journey is that during peak hours the battery charges only at around 3200W and PV generation stays at 3200 unless I switch on a load eg. Window AC (1500 W) in that case the PV generation goes up by the load amount to around 4700W. This tells me that there is some kind of setting in the inverter that dictates the max current at which the 48V battery should be charging (in this case seems like around 60-65 amps).

Last edited:
Summer = EV solar Charging !!
{almost feels like getting free gasoline !!}
Only if you live up north. I couldn't figure out to do with the power from Feb until even June. Once we start banging 105F+ it gets tough.

Summer = excessive HVAC use, with no excess production. My batteries are not charged until 16:00, and it's so bloody hot I'm running the batteries dry around 06:00. I might get an hour of EV in here and there. I've had to bypass to the grid in the evening the last three weeks to keep the EV's charged. Sadly I will have more than the minimum electric bill this month and likely next.

more solar panels ! MORE !!
Installed a ducted mini split this year and it works so well, I got 'told' -why didn't we do this years ago?" LOL.
I was amazed at the low power consumption of these units. Running 100% on solar power, and plenty of power to spare, at least while the days are 18 hrs long that is...November will be a different story in this part of the world.
Forecast is 90 F today...

BTW - One thing I learnt during my Solar journey is that during peak hours the battery charges only at around 3200W and PV generation stays at 3200 unless I switch on a load eg. Window AC (1500 W) in that case the PV generation goes up by the load amount to around 4700W. This tells me that there is some kind of setting in the inverter that dictates the max current at which the 48V battery should be charging (in this case seems like around 60-65 amps).
Could be your SCC has a maximum battery charge amount and some method to monitor what the battery is receiving. Bit rare since mostly with a common DC bus the SCC simply puts out whatever the load calls for up to its rating/set point.

Common DC bus is the output of the SCC, battery and inverter. These item are in parallel and effect each other.

On Topic, Summer I have less excess PV power due to the sun being too high and the temperature being hot. Couple that with adding Aircon into the demand and the PV mostly gets used. Fall and Spring however I am way over what I need and that is when the search for additional things to be powered ensues.

It's July and 14 degrees C today :(
But just think how much energy you're saving not needing A/C... Joking.
Over-night it was 15C here but right now 33C and rising yikes!!
The new mini split ducted heat pump is awesome - provides heating or cooling as needed with tiny energy consumption since it is a heat pump, 20 C in the house right now - loving it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back