diy solar

diy solar

Going semi off grid with a FIT

mfred68

Hi guys I live in the UK and I have recently purchased 28kwh of battery storage, and im going down the Victron route with a multiplus 2 inverter and more solar panels.
However I also plan to charge the batteries over night on an economy 7 tariff , so the inverter will be timed to charge during cheap rate hours. Then during day rate, the ac input of the inverter will be disconnected, and the house will only run from battery power. However, I currently have a solar array with micro inverters and a feed in tariff. The generation meter monitors how much energy my array is producing, and I get paid for this, regardless if I export it or use it all myself. So if I did the above, I should in theory still get paid for my solar generation. Or would a smart meter tell the power company (Scottish power)that I've stopped exporting? Although my FIT is paid to me by a different energy supplier (British gas), so they have no access to my smart meter?

Suggest you speak first with the FiT payment provider; British Gas. Minimal changes are permitted to retain FiT payments; will depend on what the provider allows and whether you have bi-directional export meter on the inverter - they don't want you importing when cheap and then exporting it to increase the export payments.

Back