diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid grid tied using deep cycle lead acid batteries

wdaliu

Hi

I’m new to Solar energy, so apologise in advance if my question is abit silly

I’m looking into install a Hybrid Grid tied system into my house where I can use Solar Energy/Batteries when possible and Grid when not possible.

To save on the initial cost, I want to use deep cycle lead acid batteries.
However, I notice all the hybrid inverters have positive and negative connections, plus an additionally BMS connection.
As standard deep cycle lead acid batteries won’t have the BMS connection, will the hybrid inverter with lead acid batteries work?

However, I notice all the hybrid inverters have positive and negative connections, plus an additionally BMS connection.
As standard deep cycle lead acid batteries won’t have the BMS connection, will the hybrid inverter with lead acid batteries work?
Lead-acid batteries most always will have to be wired in series to reach the desired voltage. In the case of my own 48V system, I have twelve 4V batteries wired in series for a 48V battery bank. I have three 8V batteries wired in series for my 24V system bank.

You simply connect the the positive wire of your inverter to the positive terminal of the bank, and likewise for the negative. Because lead-acid batteries don't need the same kind of protection that a Li battery needs, it doesn't need a BMS. Ignore it completely.

Thank you @MichaelK. The bit about "don't need the same kind of protection that a Li battery need" has answered my question.

Back