diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid vs AIO

mciholas

Solar Enthusiast
Dumb question time:

What is the difference between a hybrid inverter and an all in one inverter?

I thought they were one and the same, that is, inverters that can use solar and batteries to run with the grid off, and can run grid tied when it is present.

I noticed this forum changed names from "grid tied" to "hybrid and grid tied". Just curious about the nomenclature.

Mike C.

Dumb question time:

I thought they were one and the same, that is, inverters that can use solar and batteries to run with the grid off, and can run grid tied when it is present.

I noticed this forum changed names from "grid tied" to "hybrid and grid tied". Just curious about the nomenclature.

Mike C.
My understanding is that all in one includes the inverter, charge controller, and charger and transfer switch in one box.

A true hybrid is grid interactive. It can sell to grid, buy from grid, support battery with grid and support grid with battery.

Again that's my understanding

Dumb question time:

If you are looking for a hard designation it does not exist. For example a simple Off grid Inverter AIO I bought a couple of years ago was advertised as "Hybrid". I took it to mean that it would use either grid, or PV and battery. Many folks prefer using Hybrid to mean it can parallel with grid which an Off grid with GAB (grid as backup) can not do.

Just read a good deffinition over in another post - it has to do with being AC coupled or DC coupled. But it can also mean it is a double conversion inverter... ok, there is no good deffinition.

Back