diy solar

diy solar

Hydraulic crimper tool die size by IBOSAD

ohmboy

Just recently used the IBOSAD hydraulic crimper, model YQK-300 blue. Purchased it to crimp lugs for 2-AWG and 6-AWG wires. Unfortunately, the die marked as 2-AWG is not quite the correct size. The lug was a little loose after the crimp. Used a smaller die but it created wings.
Beware when purchasing.
I read a discussion but I had already made the purchase: Hydraulic crimper

ibosad2awg.jpg wingedCrimp.jpg
The image on Amazon shows that it included the AWG sizes (2-AWG, 4-AWG) that I was looking for.

crimpr_desc.png
All that being said, I did like the ease of using this crimper. It is quite powerful.

Rotate 120 degrees and re-crimp to get rid of the wings. With more practice with the smaller die crimp just enough to get the wire snug (85%?) and then rotate and go 90% then one more if needed. May not get to 100% if the die is a bit undersized.

Rotate 120 degrees and re-crimp to get rid of the wings. With more practice with the smaller die crimp just enough to get the wire snug (85%?) and then rotate and go 90% then one more if needed. May not get to 100% if the die is a bit undersized.
I will try this. Thank you!!

Aside from appearance, is there any harm in the wings?
I have pretty much the same crimper but the wings are a bit smaller. I would think that they cause weak points that can crack but so far almost three years in I have seen no problems.
That may not be the case for wires that get flexed a lot.

Due to the severe angle it does create a weak point from which a fatigue crack could propagate but you would need a movement cycle for the crack to start and then extend ie caused by vibration. So you have a potential weak point but no condition to take advantage of it unless your genny is running and the vibration travels to the lug.

Fatigue fractures in action

Aside from appearance, is there any harm in the wings?
The wings indicate an overcrimped connection. The risk is that the point where the lug finishes and free strands begin has been squeezed so tightly that it fractures the free strand wires.

Coming from an automotive background I have seen lugs shear apart due to over crimping. Probably not as much of an issue in a zero vibration environment.

Wings are a combination of cheap lugs and incorrect die size. Rotate and squeeze them back down, don't clip them.

They are a long term weak spot as mentioned. With selterm, temco or other quality lugs you will have fewer problems. If you run into the issue where it isn't tight on the right size a few wraps of painters tape on the outside will make it better, just make sure to peal off befor shrink wrap.

Could be entirely the lug or the crimper or a combo, right? I’d watch the lug as you crimp and stop as the wing forms. Easier if you fasten the crimper to a workbench or board.

That looks a lot like the temco crimper

Could be entirely the lug or the crimper or a combo, right? I’d watch the lug as you crimp and stop as the wing forms. Easier if you fasten the crimper to a workbench or board.

That looks a lot like the temco crimper

It is a combo of lugs and crimpers and wire. Wire can be a little undersized. Lugs can be thin. Dies can be the wrong size.

Back