diy solar

diy solar

Hydraulic crimping and soldering - Sol Ark 15k DC wiring

Fyi everyone, this is not a finished setup.

Turned my sol-ark 15k on for the first time last night. Already saving over 50% on my peek power bill and I'm just using one battery!

Just one 100 Ah trophy battery to get started, charge limited to 30A, discharge 40 A.

eventually it will be 260A but that's not for a while or just this battery.

Not code compliant to parallel small wires. Any inspector would red tag you for what you are proposing; as others have stated just get the correct wire and terminals and don't solder.

Agreed.

It looks like you're really sold on the idea of soldering.
Don't forget that you should clean the flux off.

where should I use flux? Dip wire before crimping? Remember i don't really want a lot of wicking.

Didn't find any lugs but i could make one with a drill bit to test... no time now. Real work in progress, I hope to have my 18 panel ground mount ap smart switch panels turned on before the end of the day!

Battery hooked up single 6 awg cold pressed hex copper to copper, my first hydraulic crimp. Wow, so strong, inspired, thx everyone!

Please post some pictures of the insulation on that THHN when you're done. I'm afraid it will suffer a little from the heat.
I'd also like to see the details of a heat sink good enough to keep solder from wicking up the cable. One of those would be handy to have.

will do, remember my test would be to insert solder at the bolt side, doing it from the wire side is impossible.
The issue is capillary action of the flux and solder, it wicks far down the cable.

You are welcome, I hope you have a bright future.
When the connection heats up and the solder melts, the cable can pull out and create a short.

Used the #16 dies on 6awg thhn copper to copper lug is that enough to remove air?
That's just an example, not saying you doing it. Proper hydraulic crimps will not allow solder up into the terminal so it is a waste of time and effort.
Seriously impressed at the strength. Thinking the soldering is a complete academic fun waste of time to be frank.

Other than that, the only place it should be used is on circuit boards, and those do have problems over time with solder cracks leading to poor connections. I've repaired many circuit boards over the years with my soldering station.

Ditto
Even on small wires under 10AWG, I have moved away from solder practices I used 30 years ago and use barrel crimp connectors on everything now.

Looked up a barrel crimper, no dies, awesome! Limited range size... but still very cool for small stuff. I'll add it to my Christmas wish list for anything higher than 12 awg

Cold weld is the best. Airtight, no issues with flux, excellent conductivity.
Ahh, no issues with flux because you don't use any! Gotcha

Would also recommend if possible using an Orion or even better a Batrium BMS if you continue with a DIY bank as those have known compatibility for closed-loop communication.

Found this video this morning, I pinned the spot that shows a lug that has the hole in it just like I thought up during this thread. Still like the cold bond copper with hydraulic crimp ;).

Back