diy solar

diy solar

Hysolis Apollo 5K with 5 solar panels

prduke

I am thinking of getting 2 Hysolis Apollos to run for emergency back up (Need 240 volt for well pump and then about 5 circuits for various normal 120 volt plugs). I have 5 400 solar panels. I understand that each Apollo can take up to 4,000 watts of solar. I don't have that much panel wise. I also understand (I think) that each Apollo needs solar. ie...I can't send all 5 panels to 1 Apollo and have the 2nd Apollo "pull" from the one with solar...correct?

I am thinking that I pair 2 panels with 1 Apollo and 3 panels with the Apollo. I think there is some "solar leveling" between the 2 units that can happen, but wanted to make sure.

Am I correct in this way of thinking?

Thanks.

I am thinking of getting 2 Hysolis Apollos to run for emergency back up (Need 240 volt for well pump and then about 5 circuits for various normal 120 volt plugs). I have 5 400 solar panels. I understand that each Apollo can take up to 4,000 watts of solar. I don't have that much panel wise. I also understand (I think) that each Apollo needs solar. ie...I can't send all 5 panels to 1 Apollo and have the 2nd Apollo "pull" from the one with solar...correct?

I am thinking that I pair 2 panels with 1 Apollo and 3 panels with the Apollo. I think there is some "solar leveling" between the 2 units that can happen, but wanted to make sure.

Am I correct in this way of thinking?

Thanks.
I think you have a number of incorrect things in here, and best to watch the vid Will did on these two units - including PV sharing is discussed and tested.
These are impressive units for sure, however I also think they are expensive 'for what you get' and you could do a lot with the same budget and have more than just emergency back up, you can have solar power every day. up to you, and everyone has their own unique situation I know, just putting the thought out there.

Keep in mind Lithium Iron Phosphate is not happy sitting fully charged for long periods waiting for that Emergency you need them for. The cells are best cycled on a daily basis, and not left at full charge for long periods.
For a purely back up emergency system you will likely do better with AGM lead-acid batteries that will very happy sitting at full charge day after day.
When you need them though, you will want to limit discharge to 50% SOC or less - ie double the battery pack size if you use lead acid types.
For your situation you may be better off just getting a back up generator, dual fuel types are a great option, and add generator plug to your property and proper Manual Transfer Switch. May be better use of your money for your application. Just stuff to consider.

Back