diy solar

diy solar

I’m a little confused hooking up my growatt spf 6000t dvm-mpv

The neutral is the half way point of the 240v and so connecting to it and ONE hot gives you 120v.
So yes your growatt only takes 240v input but has a transformer output that has 120-0-120.
The USA split phase system is odd and confusing. Here is a good read up on it, Edison is to blame lol.
Very confusing but definitely learnable. I’ll give that a read! Thankyou

I happen to also be installing the same GroWatt inverter in my off grid cabin and I have to agree that their documentation is lame and missing crucial information.

I just finally received some stud connectors that I was missing for the final wiring and during this waiting time I had to clarify the same exact questions yo are going thru now and as far as I can see you figured out the same answers I have:

- Generator input to Inverter: 240V, no neutral
- Inverter output: L1+L2+N to a split phase panel

The Neutral for AC output is only required IF your application is actually split phase. And because you bought this inverter I suspect you do have a split phase application.

No, each leg is NOT 240V as you stated, but instead 120V each leg with 240V between them. And each leg between a Neutral gives you the desired 120V.

I believe the above is correct regarding how to wire the inverter between the generator + house panel.
The other issue that I am facing is how to solve the grounding. Yes, I am also above a bedrock and I can't dig it 6 feet deep. Also, there is a chance that you will need only one place in your system where N+G bond. I can't advise on this because I am going thru it for the first time, but if you read some of my threads you'll find lots of response to the same questions you are asking.
The N+G bound also confused me. I was reading the 17 page thread last night. I got half way through and my phone died because I don’t have power lol that’s a joke. I’m gonna check out your threads. Thanks a bunch

Look for ground plates, a different option than ground rods.
Oh awesome yeah I can do that Thankyou . I’m also gonna pour a 2’x2’ footing/pier this weekend with re bar drilled and connected to this giant bedrock for my container to sit level on ….so maybe that re bar could double as an earth ground potentially

Oh awesome yeah I can do that Thankyou . I’m also gonna pour a 2’x2’ footing/pier this weekend with re bar drilled and connected to this giant bedrock for my container to sit level on ….so maybe that re bar could double as an earth ground potentially

Chances are good that you won't meet code with that. Concrete encased electrodes, sometimes called "ufer ground", require a minimum of 20 feet of the conductor (in this case, rebar) along the concrete.

Back