diy solar

diy solar

I’m new to all of this and could really use some help please.

Zigzags

Hi everyone,
I have an old RV that is out in the middle of a forest with no shore power. Long story short, the solar system cratered on me a few weeks ago. I thought it would be a great time to go with a lithium upgrade. Not to mention, also go from a converter to an inverter. Can’t wait to be able to use all the plugins hahahaha
So I know absolutely nothing. I started off with buying a couple things that I knew nothing about. Then I found Will’s YouTube channel. I binged for a week lol
So then I bought a few more things.

Basically this is what I have purchased:
Go Power IC3000 inverter
Go Power FBL-400 class T 400 amp fuse
63a 1000v DC disconnect switch PV solar
Victron smart Solar MPPT 100v/50a 12/24
Joinfworld battery disconnect switch 12v-48v
LiTime 12v 200ah 200 amp battery

I think that all I need to purchase now is wire and panels correct?
I wanted to purchase the wires that Will recommended on this website but not sure if 2ft is long enough.
When it comes to panels I’m lost. So that Victron controller says on there website not to exceed 700w. The supplier told me I could go 850w with no issues. I don’t know what’s true. For me the biggest thing is safety. There also seems to be a few different types out there and want to make sure I purchase the right ones. I have seen some of the panels Will discusses in his videos.I really like the 370w ones he just reviewed. Problem is ever time I click on the distributors link. It’s always a minimum of ten panels lol
I think I only need two.
If any of you have advice for me I’m all ears and I listen well lol
Thanks in advance
Ted

Max voltage adjusted for low temperature is the set in stone parameter going over on watts is not a issue 20 to 25% is common practice but going over on voltage is very bad never exceed max voltage

Sorry I sound so stupid but is max voltage adjusted for low temperature. Is that going to be a rating on the solar panels it’s self? I’ve never even noticed voltage on the panels before. Everything is always about the watts. Thank you so much!
So I need to go by the maximum voltage of the Victron solar controller then?

Sorry I sound so stupid but is max voltage adjusted for low temperature. Is that going to be a rating on the solar panels it’s self?
Panels have a Voc, and a temp adjustment. Two panels under 40v in series may be ok for the Victron 100v max.
So I need to go by the maximum voltage of the Victron solar controller then?
Yes. If you buy the victron and panels from the same place, they should help you.

You can try to buy 2 used panels.

Look for a pair of 60 cell panels. They have a max Voc of under 40 volts. They range from 240 watts to about 360 watts
Panels have a Voc, and a temp adjustment. Two panels under 40v in series may be ok for the Victron 100v max.

Yes. If you buy the victron and panels from the same place, they should help you.

You can try to buy 2 used panels.

Would you guys still recommend these options if I said I could still return the Victron? Would you recommend a better controller for me buget friendly? Or should I stay the course? It’s in the trees so I don’t get a lot of sun. I own the property so I may need to add a battery or more panels in the future. I was thinking to start with two 400w panels. By the sounds of it that would max this controller out.

Last edited:
Figure out your power needs and what you want to run. Also whether 12v, 24v, or 120v appliances.

Consider cutting down some trees.
I know what my power needs are. Like I said I want to run 2 400w panels. I’m running 12v and 120v which is the reason everything I have purchased is for 12v. Will cut down trees as needed.

Last edited:
I’m going to return the Victron and purchase this one. Should give me more options when it comes to panels. At least I hope so.

That amazon controller is also 150 volts input, just like the Victron, but only 40 amps output. Looks like a step down to me.

Go to the Victron site and under charge controllers they have a calculator that helps you match panels to charge controllers.

I’m going to return the Victron and purchase this one.
Youre going to make @sunshine_eggo cry if you do that! But on the other hand I am running two of the 4215bn's in my setup... so Ill be happy.
Im totally okey dokey with not being able to get on my phone and look at the stats like you can with the victron. The m-50 has a lifepo4 setting but I believe its best to do the user mode and put in the specific settings for your particular battery. Fairly easy and plenty of threads here to run you thru that process.

That amazon controller is also 150 volts input, just like the Victron, but only 40 amps output. Looks like a step down to me.

Go to the Victron site and under charge controllers they have a calculator that helps you match panels to charge controllers.
I’ll do that thank you

Youre going to make @sunshine_eggo cry if you do that! But on the other hand I am running two of the 4215bn's in my setup... so Ill be happy.
Im totally okey dokey with not being able to get on my phone and look at the stats like you can with the victron. The m-50 has a lifepo4 setting but I believe its best to do the user mode and put in the specific settings for your particular battery. Fairly easy and plenty of threads here to run you thru that process.
I just mailed it back. I still need to find the controller right for me. I can tell you that it won’t be a Victron. Even if there the best ever made I won’t be purchasing one. I tried to contact them on more than one occasion. Maybe just my luck but there support was horrible and rude. Also not sure it’s true but I read they can get quite warm. I will be mounting all of this to cement board however fire is an extreme concern to me as it’s a tinderbox with no fire department lol

Try to find a bigger Victron if you feel you must…you really can’t do better than them for most situations……..Btw im running 1200- 1600 through my 100/50s….at 24 volt..all is well..
Thank you but I don’t really want to go Victron. Do you recommend any other manufacturers? I realize my mistake was going 12v instead of 24v. I made that decision before watching Will’s videos. Now I realize I made the mistake and need to live with it lol

I wish someone could just say buy two of these 370-450 panels and this controller. It will do excellent with the inverter and battery you bought and it’s not to expensive hahahaha

The knowledge you guy’s posses is impressive 😎👍

Oh and I’m not sure if this is correct but the Victron I returned was only 100v. That’s why I thought maybe going to the 150v would be a step up?

Oh and I’m not sure if this is correct but the Victron I returned was only 100v. That’s why I thought maybe going to the 150v would be a step up?
Sorry, you are correct. I thought I read 150 volts Victron in there somewhere. My mistake.

Since you only want a couple of panels it is gonna be tricky. Check local craigslist, ebay, etc. ... something that you can pick up locally. Once you find a couple of panels that you like, then find a SCC that works with those panels. Don't get the charge controller until you know what panels you are gonna use.

I just mailed it back. I still need to find the controller right for me. I can tell you that it won’t be a Victron. Even if there the best ever made I won’t be purchasing one. I tried to contact them on more than one occasion. Maybe just my luck but there support was horrible and rude.

How did you contact them? They aren't a direct to end user support company. They have a network of dealers and installers, and those are the folks you contact. HOWEVER, if you experience bad service from a Victron dealer, they regularly intervene.

Also not sure it’s true but I read they can get quite warm.

Yep, but they work, and they last. Part of this perception is that they rapidly conduct heat away from the actual circuitry via embedding the circuitry in potting, so the housing is warm.

I will be mounting all of this to cement board however fire is an extreme concern to me as it’s a tinderbox with no fire department lol

Maybe sourcing cheap Chinese components isn't the right approach? Victron may not be for you, but there are other options.

I know what my power needs are. Like I said I want to run 2 400w panels. I’m running 12v and 120v which is the reason everything I have purchased is for 12v. Will cut down trees as needed.
That is not your "need". That is how you propose to address your "need". You asked for "options". Without knowing your "need", we can give you "options" for your proposed configuration, but have no idea whether that is better or worse at meeting your "need".

Options for 2 400 watt panels are 4 200 watt panels, or 3 300 watt panels. 2 425 watt panels provide more power. Does that help?

2 400 watt panels could produce 4000 watt hours on a good day. 12v 200ah battery is 2400 watt hours. If you only need to store 2400 watt hours overnight, that works. More battery would allow the storing of more production.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back