diy solar

diy solar

I am going to try a DIY mini-split!

C'mon folks and think outside the box. I got my EPA 608 certification and I registered as a dealer for Pioneer Minisplits (Midea). Do the registration paperwork when you install them. That's all it takes for them to be considered "professionally" installed.

I've had absolutely no trouble getting Midea parts or taking advantage of the 5 year warranty. And everything is done through Pioneers's warehouse in Doral, Fl. I've even picked up orders there from them in-person when I happened to be be doing a trip to the Florida Keys.
Looks like Pioneer doesn't have much detail other then installers company name and address. Not every company will have the same requirements I suppose have to just look at the fine print before you purchase.

The problem I'm facing with a garage DIY install is unless you buy a mini-split that specifically says it's a DIY install the manufacture likely will not honor the warranty unless you pay a HVAC contractor to install it. Some manufactures when you go to register it they require the contractor to fill out the warranty registration with their contractor number. I found this on daikin, and other well known manufactures websites. I did find others who state they are DIY didn't use the quick disconnects like MR Cool Brands. One thing I found cheap Amazon brands the support is poor no US support at the mercy of a Chinese company gets back to you at 2 AM once or twice a week at best.
Parker Davis HVAC (pioneerminisplit.com based in Miami FL) offers a 5yr parts only warranty for their Pioneer mini-splits. Maybe I missed it, but I could not find a warranty exclusion for a DIY install at their website---just need to register it. Called tech support at Parker Davis a few times. Always got through quickly. Their tech support told me a DIY install (in itself) will not invalidate the warranty. I might add they also told me they will not cover the cost of replacement freon for any reason---warranty or otherwise.

If you order a Pioneer through homedepot.com you'll get a 90 day return window from HD (if you're military you'll also receive an additional 10% off). There's a number of inquiries in the homedepot.com Pioneer mini-split Q&A sections about warranty support for a DIY install. Typical response from the "Pioneer Support Team" (which I assume is Parker Davis HVAC) is: "As long as it is installed carefully, correctly, and the warranty form is filled out and submitted, you will receive full warranty."

Just ordered an 18k Pioneer minisplit from homedepot.com for our new detached garage. Less than a grand (delivered to my door) and is rated to provide ~50% of rated heat down to -13f. Fingers crossed it treats us well.

For what it's worth, two years ago we installed an 18k Tosot mini-split in our attached garage that we ordered on Amazon from a 3rd party seller. It arrived damaged. They offered us almost 50% off if we were willing to install it and see if it would still work vs. returning it---we accepted. Yup, it's a little dented and twisted, but works great otherwise. Seriously doubt the warranty is worth anything. If it dies, we'll probably toss-it and order a Pioneer.

Progress report!
Subscribed to Skillcat to get my EPA 608.
(I know the Mitsubishi is pre-charged, want the 608 for other things)

Was not impressed w/ the $$$ and quality of the mini-split wall brackets I found.
(The Mitsubishi bracket was over $300. For a stamped steel bracket....really?)

Bought some stainless steel angle and flat bar to make the wall bracket to mount the compressor.
Will TIG weld up something.
lincoln_idealarc_tig_300.jpg
Not sure if I should just buy a lineset or make my own.

Impressed w/ these copper sources:

Bought the Nylog "blue goo" to seal the flare, and the torque wrench for the flare nuts.

Found an "open box" Square D NEMA-3R disconnect, and a 15A Square D QO breaker on ebay for reasonable $$.
Already had a NEMA-1 box for the breaker, and had enough electrical conduit/fittings/ rolls of THWN #14 to do the power.

Found a Carbide bit for the 75mm hole through the concrete block wall.
Can't find a 3" wall sleeve, all the ones listed as 3 inch are not, according to the reviews. Will make my own wall sleeve.

Probably have enough PVC conduit & fittings to do the attic run, but not looking forward to crawling around up there in the heat......

Made a template to help establish the approximate location of the air handler.
mitsubishi_template.jpg

Parker Davis HVAC (pioneerminisplit.com based in Miami FL) offers a 5yr parts only warranty for their Pioneer mini-splits. Maybe I missed it, but I could not find a warranty exclusion for a DIY install at their website---just need to register it. Called tech support at Parker Davis a few times. Always got through quickly. Their tech support told me a DIY install (in itself) will not invalidate the warranty. I might add they also told me they will not cover the cost of replacement freon for any reason---warranty or otherwise.

If you order a Pioneer through homedepot.com you'll get a 90 day return window from HD (if you're military you'll also receive an additional 10% off). There's a number of inquiries in the homedepot.com Pioneer mini-split Q&A sections about warranty support for a DIY install. Typical response from the "Pioneer Support Team" (which I assume is Parker Davis HVAC) is: "As long as it is installed carefully, correctly, and the warranty form is filled out and submitted, you will receive full warranty."

Just ordered an 18k Pioneer minisplit from homedepot.com for our new detached garage. Less than a grand (delivered to my door) and is rated to provide ~50% of rated heat down to -13f. Fingers crossed it treats us well.

For what it's worth, two years ago we installed an 18k Tosot mini-split in our attached garage that we ordered on Amazon from a 3rd party seller. It arrived damaged. They offered us almost 50% off if we were willing to install it and see if it would still work vs. returning it---we accepted. Yup, it's a little dented and twisted, but works great otherwise. Seriously doubt the warranty is worth anything. If it dies, we'll probably toss-it and order a Pioneer.
I wished I had done more research into it before I purchased off Amazon your right Pioneer seems to be more DIY friendly. I believe if you use a home depot credit card you get a 1 year return policy. I do know appliances like refrigerators are not returnable. Generally I have no issues with Home Depot they usually stand behind their products they sell. I notice that the mini-splits they do sell which clearly not DIY like the Carrier mini split you can't even buy off their website it only has a "Request a quote".

and is rated to provide ~50% of rated heat down to -13f. Fingers crossed it treats us well.
I just went through my first winter with my 12k Pioneer mini-split. I live in the Bighorn Basin of Wyoming so negative degree winters are a given. This unit performed wonderfully! Very happy with it. Yours should do well!

diy solar

diy solar
Back