diy solar

diy solar

I bought a takeoff, 10KW SunSmart Hybrid from PowMr. When I applied battery power to it and turned on the switch...nothing.

The blue fuse is the protection. If you show voltage beyond it than it did not blow. Most likely you just have a bad unit.
That is what I believe also. But I can not ethically ask for a replacement since I bought it at 1/4 the price of new, knowing I am taking a risk. Now I am going to go inside of it and try to find what is broken inside. I was hoping someone has been inside one of these or could give me some direction to go, as I chase the next potential failure, in side the device.

That is what I believe also. But I can not ethically ask for a replacement since I bought it at 1/4 the price of new, knowing I am taking a risk. Now I am going to go inside of it and try to find what is broken inside. I was hoping someone has been inside one of these or could give me some direction to go, as I chase the next potential failure, in side the device.

I don't think it's out of line for you to do a return on it. It could have already been damaged, who knows.

Was it sold as working, used like new?

It's conceivable that it was already damaged by the previous person that tried to use it, or bad from the manufacturer.

It is also possible that the loud pop you heard damaged something inside the unit. It's a huge inrush of current trying to go from the batteries to the capacitors inside the unit, from 0 volts up to the battery voltage. Some units hold up to it better than others.

It's unfortunate that more manufacturers don't warn about it, or build the circuitry in place necessary to prevent it being needed. Even when it doesn't outright damage the inverter, it's not good for the connections and such when it sparks that bad.. often times it chars some of the material away on the connection points where you make the circuit.. either when you touch the terminals to the wire, or when you flip a breaker / switch.
The inrush of current might have broken this thing. The device has not been connected to wires prior to my purchase. It had been hung by the top mount screws but no sign of connecting any wires to it. I looked again at the instructions and I couldn't find any warnings to use a resister. But it makes sense that the current should come on a little at a time and not one big shot.

I don't think it's out of line for you to do a return on it. It could have already been damaged, who knows.
Who would I return it too? I don't have a receipt or box or paper work. I have not found an English speaking representative. But it would be great If I could, I will email them again.

This might help you.
Thread 'SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER WONT START UP RED LIGHT ON BOARD' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...erter-wont-start-up-red-light-on-board.72937/

If it came from amazon, return it.

Was it sold as working, used like new?
No, it was sold as a used , take off (from a trade show probably, since it had been hung up prior to my purchase). It was agreed by the seller (Amazon returns, bulk buyer) and myself that no guarantee of performance was given. And I paid cash.

Last edited:
No, it was sold as a used , take off (from a trade show probably, since it had been hung up prior to my purchase). It was agreed by the seller (Amazon returns, bulk buyer) and myself that no guarantee of performance was given.
Oh, ok. If you purchased it through Amazon and it specifically said AS IS, no returns.. that's a different story.

The inrush of current might have broken this thing. The device has not been connected to wires prior to my purchase. It had been hung by the top mount screws but no sign of connecting any wires to it. I looked again at the instructions and I couldn't find any warnings to use a resister. But it makes sense that the current should come on a little at a time and not one big shot.

Interesting. Attached to a wall.

My money is on it either being DOA for the first "owner" who returned it, then it was re-sold. Obviously who ever re-sold it knew something was up, hence the low price.

OR

Even though it looks like no wires were connected, maybe some were. Specifically, the battery wiring, and backwards.

Interesting. Attached to a wall.

My money is on it either being DOA for the first "owner" who returned it, then it was re-sold. Obviously who ever re-sold it knew something was up, hence the low Amazon

OR

Even though it looks like no wires were connected, maybe some were. Specifically, the battery wiring, and backwards.
Could be.
This might help you.
Thread 'SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER WONT START UP RED LIGHT ON BOARD' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/s...erter-wont-start-up-red-light-on-board.72937/

If it came from amazon, return it.
Thank you, I will continue to follow this link and take the cover off once I clean up my work area. This is only one of three major electrical failures I am dealing with. Does anyone know anything about Freeze Dryers.....:)

Have you tried opening up the unit? You should be able to do a pretty general inspection of the pcb to determine if there's anything blown... My guess is either blown caps or fuses on the board. I could be wrong though.

If you can't return it, it's worth taking it entirely apart to find your issue.

Have you tried opening up the unit? You should be able to do a pretty general inspection of the pcb to determine if there's anything blown... My guess is either blown caps or fuses on the board. I could be wrong though.

It would be worth looking through to see if there is simple fix. Perhaps PowMr will come through with some replacement parts.

Just as a thing to consider for the OP: There is a offering in the "For sale" part of the Forum here for a 12kW Growatt AIO for a real good price. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/12kw-growatt-12000t-dmv-mpv-🔻-725.83120/

It would be worth looking through to see if there is simple fix. Perhaps PowMr will come through with some replacement parts.

Just as a thing to consider for the OP: There is a offering in the "For sale" part of the Forum here for a 12kW Growatt AIO for a real good price. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/12kw-growatt-12000t-dmv-mpv-🔻-725.83120/

I am going to try. I am not an electrician and approach the insides of electrical devices with much trepidation :) But I tried again to contact PowMr with out success.

Find a working matching pow-mr unit, and keep your 'deeply discounted' current unit as the future parts supply for the working unit,...
or learn from the error - 'buyer-beware', and get the growatt. Sell the non-working unit "for parts" to someone that has one already.

Do you mind trying a few things?

Did you have the ac breakers at your service panels on or off when you turned the unit on?

I want to make sure you did not reverse your ac leads into the out …would probably be bad if they were on and swapped. To make it safe make sure those ac breakers are down-“off at your service panel” . Can you take a picture of that too?

Do you smell anything that smells burned ANYWHERE? Was your freeze dryer and 3 other electrical things messed up before this?
Could be.

Thank you, I will continue to follow this link and take the cover off once I clean up my work area. This is only one of three major electrical failures I am dealing with. Does anyone know anything about Freeze Dryers.....:)

Can you turn the batteries off……main battery breaker off make sure everything is powered down on dc side with meter. No dc power to your inverter at terminals as you have been instructed and shown.
By sunshine_eggo

Post in thread 'I bought a takeoff, 10KW SunSmart Hybrid from PowMr. When I applied battery power to it and turned on the switch...nothing.'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...rned-on-the-switch-nothing.85892/post-1126243

Then make sure to put ac breakers down at your service box or wherever you connected them. Disconnect ALL OF THE AC leads at the inverter that you connected. Once everything that YOU hooked up to the ac connectors at inverter are disconnected try powering it up with battery again.
The battery will be all that is connected. The unit will be totally isolated except battery. You will have to disconnect the ac to repair or replace it anyway.

The others are probably spot on but it is best when troubleshooting such as you are doing to disconnect the ac leads you hooked up too.

I am going to try. I am not an electrician and approach the insides of electrical devices with much trepidation :) But I tried again to contact PowMr with out success.

I have ZERO to NO confidence that you should go into this inverter to investigate…... You do not express confidence or knowledge and so don’t want you to get hurt. You will need to find someone that can work on it for you. A charged capacitor could shock you inside the unit. So am not recommending you go inside of it. The damage is probably in the circles if popped it with dc.

IMG_7068.jpeg

Do you mind trying a few things?
Sure
Did you have the ac breakers at your service panels on or off when you turned the unit on?
off
I want to make sure you did not reverse your ac leads into the out …would probably be bad if they were on and swapped. To make it safe make sure those ac breakers are down-“off at your service panel” . Can you take a picture of that too?
The following breakers were off. Main Panel ,Separate disconnect installed just before panel, outlet breaker on panel and another one before my loads (easier to disconnect then the one on the panel)
Do you smell anything that smells burned ANYWHERE? Was your freeze dryer and 3 other electrical things messed up before this?
No I didn't
Can you turn the batteries off……main battery breaker off make sure everything is powered down on dc side with meter. No dc power to your inverter at terminals as you have been instructed and shown.
By sunshine_eggo
I did
Post in thread 'I bought a takeoff, 10KW SunSmart Hybrid from PowMr. When I applied battery power to it and turned on the switch...nothing.'
https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...rned-on-the-switch-nothing.85892/post-1126243

Then make sure to put ac breakers down at your service box or wherever you connected them. Disconnect ALL OF THE AC leads at the inverter that you connected. Once everything that YOU hooked up to the ac connectors at inverter are disconnected try powering it up with battery again.
The battery will be all that is connected. The unit will be totally isolated except battery. You will have to disconnect the ac to repair or replace it anyway.
Did it.
The others are probably spot on but it is best when troubleshooting such as you are doing to disconnect the ac leads you hooked up too.

Thank you for your help. One thing I didn't state. I am a general contractor (almost fully retired) and have built multiple homes and completely wired my own. Also I am a Journeyman level auto mechanic and wired and diagnosed many production and racing vehicles. But I Know very little about the inside of these panels. I'm sorry I gave you the impression I am incompetent. That was a mistake. I have decided to dismount the panel and then take it apart. I will use an ohm meter to continue my diagnosis. I am aware that there may be items inside that still retain voltage. Can you tell me how to find and "disarm" them?

I have ZERO to NO confidence that you should go into this inverter to investigate…... You do not express confidence or knowledge and so don’t want you to get hurt. You will need to find someone that can work on it for you. A charged capacitor could shock you inside the unit. So am not recommending you go inside of it. The damage is probably in the circles if popped it with dc.

View attachment 223985

Sure

off

The following breakers were off. Main Panel ,Separate disconnect installed just before panel, outlet breaker on panel and another one before my loads (easier to disconnect then the one on the panel)

No I didn't

I did

Did it.
That ac breaker on the side might need to be up too. The SRNE’ers can call that one or you can flip it on and see….while battery is up. If no lights no fans no nothing then done. ‍↕️

If nothing new then we have a nuthin burger and invisible fries no shake

To final troubleshoot you have to disconnect everything except battery. You have done that. 😞 I was worried when you said several other electrical things were not working….that something had been hooked up wrong or it spiked your grid - system.

Unfortunately as others have stated time to punt. My Advice …. best to spend the money and buy brand new. Sorry ……. But Sunshine_eggo nailed it DOA.
Dead On Arrival.

To keep you from being hurt I can’t - I won’t advise you to go inside. Doubt there is anything you can find to easily fix it. Powmr might help but doubt it without a warranty. Another reason to buy new. Signature Solar sells stuff and if it breaks you can jump on here and get em. Ppl will help you…get em….ppl like to beat up signature solar. 😁 I think them and other reliables like Current Connected, Watts 24/7, several others are better choices then Amazon. If you log out can see the advertisements at top of forums. Shhhhssss sometimes those advertisements offer $50 discounts or free shipping. You will miss those if logged in. Just logged out to take screen shot then logged back in.

Sometimes you just have to know your limits. From reading your post - you know your limits. Sorry.

When it comes to spending money on these inverters and such it is often best to just spend it on new and cry once. With these systems it can still go sideways with 1 mis-step. Box of Chocolates. The up in smoke forum proves that.. You can do a local search for electronic repair - inverter repair but probably cost more than it is worth. I would check it if you just want to see. Hope you didn’t spend to much. You might be able to sell it as parts. The right person could probably fix it with their hands on it. If powmr got it than they might be able to fix it but at what price. That unit new is not cheap to most ppl but some inverters are 4-5 times more.

Sorry

IMG_7100.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks D71, no offense takin. I appreciate your opinion and advice. I'm sure you know it can be hard to pass up what appears to be a good deal...then be reminded that "we get what we pay for". I only spent $450.00 on the panel, but then I bought 8ea 410w solar panels, 3ea 51.2 rack batteries, then breakers, wire and spent more hours than I expected. But knowledge always cost us something. I am done whining and looking for a new panel. We have very poor solar gain in the N.W. so this system is designed to provide back up for my 60amp generator panel that runs emergency lights, plugs and my 3 phase well. I will keep the gas generators but thought the battery back up generator would be a good upgrade. I did build a small MPP 1012 system with 690 watts PV and run my freezers on it. I am enjoying the learning. Sooo what to buy...

Now that you have come to the decision: "Will need a new Inverter".
What are your plans for the loads?
Do you need a 10kW output inverter for those loads?
Do you need a parallel-able inverter for future expansion?
60A generator => 240v x 60A is 14.4kW
One thing I learned going from a fuel sucking generator to a battery-inverter set up: Generators use a LOT of fuel just to be running. I can run a back up generator for just a few hours to charge up the battery bank, then shut off the generator for 24-hours and run just on batteries, saving a lot of fuel in the process. (and having some peace & quiet too!)
Not sure about the "3-phase well pump" -how big is the pump motor? does this need to be 3-phase? You may be able to run it from a VFD set up off of a single phase inverter-battery set up. We would need to know a bit more about what your goals are to be able to assist.

Reactions: D71
Signature Solar sells stuff and if it breaks you can jump on here and get em. Ppl will help you…get em….ppl like to beat up signature solar. 😁
😅 We'd prefer you reach out using the proper channels first!
You can call 903-441-2090 or use any of the contact methods on this Contact Us page: https://signaturesolar.com/contact-us/
But we are of course here too and you're welcome to DM me directly or reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com!

Reactions: D71

diy solar

diy solar
Back