diy solar

diy solar

I have reached the point of decision

psolver

I have a small RV trailer that has almost no room on the roof so I’m looking at ground mounting a couple panels when I get to destination. I am trying to decide if I should get an all in one or builder with individual components I’m currently looking at a 12 V system that I can top off or charge from a generator or my truck. I already have a Renogy BT 20 amp MPPT but I need some kind of an AC charger and I have a 30 amp Orion, DC DC charger. Looking for some suggestions.

Looking for some suggestions.
Have you completed an energy audit to determine how much power you expect to get from your system?

20A MPPT x 14V charging = 280W of solar max processed
I have a 30 amp Orion, DC DC charger.
This is a good unit. The one i installed for a friend pretty much ran straight out of the box. Alternator sensing for startup and shut down was flawless. I ran a IGN signal wire but never needed it.

Which AIOs are you considering? What flavor and size will your battery be?

I prefer components. I have 640 watts of PV that I deploy on the ground when the 640 watts on the roof aren't enough. It works well. However, the 320 watt panels are no fun to store and move around. 200 watt panels are the maximum size I would go with if I did it again.

It's great that you're considering adding solar panels to your RV trailer. Ground mounting can be a practical solution when there's limited roof space. When it comes to choosing between an all-in-one system or individual components, it depends on your specific needs and preferences.
To make a decision, think about factors like budget, power requirements, future expandability, and your comfort level with assembling and configuring individual components. You can also seek advice from experienced RVers or consult with solar experts to get personalized recommendations based on your setup.
Oh, and don't forget to have some fun with your decision-making process by using https://flipsimu.com/dice-roller/roll-d4 dice roller. It might add a bit of excitement to the journey!

Back