diy solar

diy solar

I need advice i have about $1500 and i need to continuously power a refrigerator like tomorrow and would like to expand in the future with some ac

Do you have the fridge?

Does it have a freezer?

What are your ambient temps?

What is in the fridge? Will you be opening it at night?

You may be able to freeze saltwater bottles during solar hours & use them to keep the fridge cool during non-solar hours. That would minimize your battery dependency.

If you have the fridge already, how much electricity does it consume?

What emergency made you realize you needed it tomorrow?

You'll need to know how much energy in watts your refrigerator consumes. Generally You use some sort of watt meter and measure for 24 hours. You'll also need to know how much energy in watts your refrigerator uses when the compressor starts up. How much sunlight is available. And finally, how much stand by power would You like to hold in reserve for those days where there is not enough sunshine due to bad weather conditions.

Knowing that, one can start designing a solar system.

If you must have it tomorrow, get an ice chest and a bag of ice to hold you through the night while you understand what you need to plan out.

I actually built a system, that probably would work for him. Cost under $1,000 I think. 670watt PV, 1200watt inverter, MPPT, 100 AMP AGM 12 Volt I was going to write up the process once, I had sometime, but it wouldn't be ready by tomorrow. :)

Not enough details to really come up with the right thing, but how about this:

12v portable compressor fridge/freezer (single compartment, run as fridge) Truckfridge TB51A (1.8 cu ft / 51 l) $599
2 x 100 watt solar panels HQST wired in series $162 for the pair
Renogy Rover Elite 20A MPPT Solar Charge Controller $100
2 x VMax SLR125 12v 125 Ah AGM batteries $540 for the pair (with 10% 1st order discount)
Misc Wiring, Fuses, fasteners $99
Total: $1500

Chosen based on what's in stock with an eye on some future expansion. You'd have enough power to run other 12v things. Later if you want to run some 110v ac stuff you can add an inverter. Don't know how you'd get all that stuff delivered and set up in a day, tho. A week to get it delivered, a day to set up assuming you figure out in advance how it all combines.

Now if by ac you mean air conditioning, forget about it.

I hope way smarter people than I will answer, but it was a fun exercise.

Back