diy solar

diy solar

I purchased used solar panels and have a question about the output...

Eric in TN

Hi all, I ended up getting the exact same setup that Will Prowse did a video on, the new (2 of them) EG4 6500 EX 48 and (6) - EG4 LiFepower 4 batteries. I purchased 30 used solar panels from GreenManSolar online. They advertised on FaceBook that the panels output would be 95% of when they were new. Original Open Circuit Voltage was 37.6, the panels I received averaged out to 35.16v (93.5% of new). The original amperage was 8.27 and mine averaged out to 7.43 (89.8%). My question is, are these lower numbers going to have much of an effect on my system's performance? The company wants to make me happy and I don't want to take advantage of them but I do want to make sure I am getting good results after spending all this money on the system. This is my first solar build and your feedback is very much appreciated. Thank you, Eric

Did you test those in accordance with STC conditions to confirm the ratings you're quoting?

1000W/m^2 insolation?
25°C cell temperature?

Given that STC conditions only exist in a lab, I doubt it.

Many panels give a NOCT rating or some other label that don't remember. These ratings represent more typical performance in real-world conditions where insolation is reduced (800W/m^2) and cell temperatures are HOT (depends on manufacturer, but typically 40-50°C).

Did you test those in accordance with STC conditions to confirm the ratings you're quoting?

1000W/m^2 insolation?
25°C cell temperature?

Given that STC conditions only exist in a lab, I doubt it.

Many panels give a NOCT rating or some other label that don't remember. These ratings represent more typical performance in real-world conditions where insolation is reduced (800W/m^2) and cell temperatures are HOT (depends on manufacturer, but typically 40-50°C).
Being new to this, I know I have a lot to learn. I picked a cloudless day with the sun directly overhead to test the panels. I only had each panel in the sun long enough to take the readings as I had read that the panel's efficiency goes down as it gets hotter. It was in the mid 80s on the day I tested. I figured that was as close to perfect conditions as I would be able to get. Are the numbers I was getting anything to be concerned about? Thanks

Curious, what was your method for testing them?
I used a multi-meter for DC amps and DC voltage. I put the probes in the connectors and took the initial reading before the numbers dropped. I noticed that each time I retested for voltage, the reading would go down.

First time I tried to measure dc amps with a multimeter, the plugs hisssssed at me when removing the multimeter probes. I didn't have any luck trying to deal with GreenManSolar but have heard others with good reviews and IMO, if the panels are seven'ish or so years old, I'd consider 80% about normal. I'm the kind of person that if someone warranties 95%, it better do 95%, but it's dang near impossible to test them under 'lab' conditions.

I got some of the hissing action too if I didn't make the connection fast enough. Thanks for your your opinion on the percentages. So far I am happy with GreenManSolar's customer service. Kendra is very customer service friendly.

Coming from a photography background and shooting the grand canyon I can tell you that a clear sunny day is anything but!
You need to find out the particulate matter in the sky that day and also the moisture content. Those 2 things can drop solar by 25% or more.
A clear day isnt always a clear day.

^Thought provoking!

Anyway, wouldn't the main question here be, did you size your solar array with so little headroom that losing 10% off the solar already ruins your plan?! When i bought my used panels, i bought about twice what i thought i 'needed' and then thought about buying a few more just in case any showed up broken. I think the low price of used panels in many cases should be incorporated as a cheaper way to build in some headroom, rather than looking at it as 'doing the absolute bare minimum just got cheaper!' I have 44 similarly-spec'ed panels in operation and live comfortably off grid in a small home with them. 30 might be plenty depending on the use case.

I think if they are doing ~90% of their rating you should definitely just run it. I DO think claiming 95% on used panels is BS unless they're very new. I would just assume 80% for anything used and plan accordingly, but i'd rather be pessimistic on the front end and be happy with what i get, than deal with a slowly unfolding novel of disappointment from being optimistic. That's a personality thing, so YMMV.

Last edited:
Back