diy solar

diy solar

Idle no-load consumption reference by make/model of inverters?

dougo6905

Howdy all,

I am on the hunt for another inverter. The first 1500W inverter was nice well built american made, but it stopped working, so I bought some cheap harbor freight inverters rated at 1500W and they could barely handle 750W without faulting. But they didn't die like my well built american brand. However, my batteries would die
and I found out that these stupid things drain my batteries even when the unit is powered off -- just by mere connection to the batteries, the harbor freight brand drains my batteries. When I figured this out, and actually physically disconnect the batteries, then I saw I had a lot more battery life. These are unpractical to use so why I'm looking. I think the no-load idle consumption loss is my biggest issue I need to identify (outside of pure vs modified sine wave, and max real [vs fake advertised] continuous power).
There are soo many manufacturers and models. Is there a reference chart anywhere or link somewhere that has reviewed these leakage currents of different models? so I can at least get a short list of vendors to look at? I only have 800W at high noon and want to be able to keep the whole unit on 24/7 instead of disconnecting it every day. I hope to get more panels in the future and more battery capacity once I get a descent inverter.
Thank you in advance.

You can look it up in their datasheets - look for 'Idle Consumption'.
The best I know of in this power range is the Victron Multiplus II 3kVA with an idle consumption of 11W and their smaller Multiplus models which are as low as 7W.

I think you want this thread:

I have a Victron Phoenix inverter with a low idle draw. They manufacture all sizes. The model I use comes up to 1200 VA or 1000 watts. This is a link to the data sheet:

I work at Harbor Freight and I always try to talk people out of our solar stuff. We overcharge for krap and I know better.

The mono panels are good, and the folding panels are pretty good, but only in series and are WWWWAAAAYYY overpriced compared to the competition.

Last edited:
I work at Harbor Freight and I always try to talk people out of our solar stuff. We overcharge for krap and I know better.

The mono panels are good, and the folding panels are pretty good, but only in series and are WWWWAAAAYYY overpriced compared to the competition.
Corporate just called, they want the button back.

E127077E-20D6-4556-A4F3-83B7733472CE.jpeg

Ya. It just seems a waste to get a charger/inverter when you don’t need the charger

You get a much better inverter though - one that has properties of a low frequency inverter with a large toroidal transformer.
The fact that it also functions as a charger is essentially something that comes practically automatically from the design topology.

Back