diy solar

diy solar

Idle Consumption?

The V2 Starlink router/mesh node is very inefficient, I mean like stupid bad. Needs like 30w without the dish plugged in.

I replaced it with a DC- Power supply POE

https://boondocker.io/products/dishy-rv-power-supply Starlink draws now 30-60W
You'd think with Tesla/Starlink being so technologically advanced, that they would have supplied a higher quality/efficiency unit to power it.

Wild.

You'd think with Tesla/Starlink being so technologically advanced, that they would have supplied a higher quality/efficiency unit to power it.

Wild.
Well if you are really concerned about consumption you can crack open the array and use 12 volts directly to power.

the day it would drop to 10-20W but overnight it would climb up to 150-200W and sometimes a little more with the same exact loads.
It sounds like the solar is providing the power to the load mostly and the 10w or so left over is what the inverter can't get from the panels.

Wild.
It looks like they used a PSU which can deal with worldwide voltage and frequency.

So how I know Elons principles, it was about standardized parts throughout the production line.

They can use the same router in EU and North America, Asia, no matter if 110v 60hz or 240v 50hz

That kind broad input comes many times with decreased efficiency.

Well if you are really concerned about consumption you can crack open the array and use 12 volts directly to power.
Dishy is not cheap and hard to seal after cracked open. And from my solution to the 12v the efficiency gain is not that much anymore. Especially when using a long wire.

12v burnes up a lot of watt hours when running over 100ft vs the 48v the system is operating now.

The boondocker DC is plug n play. Very simple, you still have warranty with Starlink.

Back