diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX-48HV - High Idle Consumption?

DeusXett

I just finished roughing in a single EG4 Lifepower4 battery and a EG4 6000EX (48hv) and I'm seeing some strange things from and idle-consumption perspective...

Whenever the battery is connected, even when it is at a 100% charge (confirmed via BMS Test), there is quite a large parasitic/idle draw on the grid from the inverter. On the order of 500-600W.
When I measure that AC draw at the panel, there is barely half an amp DC flowing into the battery from the inverter, so I don't think it's charging consumption. If I disconnect the battery, the AC load from the inverter drops to right around the ~100W idle consumption specified. No PV input hooked up yet, nor any AC output load (AC output side of the inverter is stubbed out to an empty panel). I've also flashed up to the latest available firmware on both battery and inverter.

Is that expected behavior from these units? Anyone else seen this?

Full disclosure: I spent ~3years as a residential electrician, for whatever it's worth :) I'm reasonably confident my installation is not at fault, but it's possible.

Cheers!

I'll see if I can test mine once I get them moved over. From what I understand, the inverters are going to "idle" at about 120 watts draw each. I assume there is inefficiency in the BMS systems too.

Where are you seeing this load of 500-600W? On battery outputs?

Back