diy solar

diy solar

12V inverter with low consumption at idle

French_guy

What would be your recommendation for a decent 12V inverter in the 1,200W range (to power a sump pump) that has a low power consumption at idle?
Thanks

I also wonder because of surge draw from the motor what size inverter you would actually need for this sump pump.

I would think any inverter with a “ECO” mode would be awaken by a sump pump. Eco modes have a real low idle, but need a certain amount of amps to wake it up; LEDs might not wake it up, but a sump pump would.

I use the Phoenix series of inverters by Victron. If you’re looking for a surge to 1200 watts, I’d recommend the Phoenix 1200 inverter. I have the 350 VA version and the idle load is quite low. If you’re looking to run at 1200 watts constantly, I would not recomend this.

Recommend looking through this thread:

Another option would be to wire any inverter that has a remote off switch to turn on through a sensor. This would draw less energy than any “ECO” mode.

I also wonder because of surge draw from the motor what size inverter you would actually need for this sump pump.

I would think any inverter with a “ECO” mode would be awaken by a sump pump. Eco modes have a real low idle, but need a certain amount of amps to wake it up; LEDs might not wake it up, but a sump pump would.

I use the Phoenix series of inverters by Victron. If you’re looking for a surge to 1200 watts, I’d recommend the Phoenix 1200 inverter. I have the 350 VA version and the idle load is quite low. If you’re looking to run at 1200 watts constantly, I would not recomend this.

Recommend looking through this thread:

Another option would be to wire any inverter that has a remote off switch to turn on through a sensor. This would draw less energy than any “ECO” mode.
What would trigger that switch though?

What would trigger that switch though?
I bet the sump pump already has a built in switch to turn on when the water floods to a certain level. If that’s the case, then wiring it would be more difficult.

From the link in your previous answer, the Giandel PS-1200JCR Pure Sine seems a good choice with low consumption at idle
Will 4 AWG wires be ok?

As @chrisski said the Victron is a decent inverter. I have the 24v version and I can easily start up my fridge and a small pump with it. The eco mode only pulls 1-2 watts and I think ? I used #4 for the wire from that batteries to the inverter. If you’re running 12v you probably need larger wire.

Last edited:
Im not familiar with these, they seem like a cool concept specifically for running pumps.

No. I would use 2/0 from the battery to the inverter.

This is the ampacity chart I use:

IMG_1348.jpeg
The formaula I use from here is:

Amps=Inverter wattage / Low Voltage Cutoff / inverter Efficiency x 1.25

176 amps =1200/10/.85x1.25

I get 176 amps, so 2/0 with 75 Degree Celsius wire

Last edited:
No. I would use 2/0 from the battery to the inverter.

This is the ampacity chart I use:

View attachment 176098
The formaula I use from here is:

Amps=Inverter wattage / Low Voltage Cutoff / inverter Efficiency x 1.25

176 amps =1200/10/.85x1.25

I get 176 amps, so 2/0 with 75 Degree Celsius wire
Any idea why Giandel includes a 6 AWG set of wires? It's also the size they specify in their manual .....! I understand the math you provided, but if 2/0 is what I should use, it seems very weird the manufacturer talks about 6 AWG

Last edited:
About 6 pages into that thread that's already been posted I took all the results and put them in this spreadsheet for easier reading:
I don't know if anyone has updated it with further results since but when I bought a 2kw inverter it helped me pick the Giandel.

About 6 pages into that thread that's already been posted I took all the results and put them in this spreadsheet for easier reading:
I don't know if anyone has updated it with further results since but when I bought a 2kw inverter it helped me pick the Giandel.
Nice file......thank you for creating it and sharing it
The Giandel pure sine wave 1200W is apparently cheaper on the Giandel site than on Amazon.......

You could use relays to trigger the switch from the same device that triggers the sump pump. Put it on the same circuit with the timer that keeps the pump going.
Once the inverter's remote is activated by the sump pump switch......will it always stays ON?

What would be your recommendation for a decent 12V inverter in the 1,200W range (to power a sump pump) that has a low power consumption at idle?
Thanks

Victron Phoenix 12/1200VA.

Turn on ECO mode, setup the ECO mode settings to match your use case. Idle draw is 1-3w in ECO mode.

Once the inverter's remote is activated by the sump pump switch......will it always stays ON
I am sure it depends on the inverter. Some just use a signal to turn on and when tha signal stops it turns off. That would be the easiest. If it took a pulse to turn on and another pulse to turn off, relays could do that too but it would be more complicated.

When I put 12vdc, 120A and 3 feet, I get 4 AWG
4 AWG is the recommendation up to 160A
For 165A, it shows 2 AWG
So...................2/0 seems huge. Am I missing something?
That tool/site looks at the distance which many amp rating charts do not. Having oversized conductors isn't a bad thing, it might cost a little more, and in some cases is preference. Thicker wire will run a little cooler even at short distances with constant amperage flowing.

If you want some affordable nice pre-made wires I have used Spartan a couple of times now.

Back