diy solar

diy solar

Idle 'no load' Consumption: Specs vs Your Personal Observation

13W for an inverter rated for 8W is a pretty significant difference (only 5W over in absolute terms but that is like 60% over spec) I wonder if your measurement is representative of the smaller Phoenix inverters or an outlier.
i have the prior version of this inverter (Phoenix 1200va (non ve-direct). Also 12 volts. About 14 watts idle when the spec sheet says around 8 watts. But it will run my vacuum, which is impressive for its size.

Samlex EVO-2224 Low Frequency Inverter Charger
Input 24VDC
Output 120VAC
Rated 2200 Watts Continuous Max Power and 3300 Watts Surge Power for 5 Seconds.
Idle Spec 25 watts
Observed 17 watts using Victron BMV-712 battery monitor
Victron BMV-712 battery monitor and 2 Overkill Solar BMS running using at most approximately 0.5 Watt total.
Power Save not used

Last edited:
In this thread, I hope to consolidate personal observations/measurements on inverter standby consumption. Specifically whether your observations are inline with what is stated on the datasheet, along with anything else you consider relevant, interesting, good or bad. With time--if this thread gains traction--it could be a useful resource for those shopping for inverters, and help us calibrate our expectations.

At a minimum report (1) Make+Model (2) Voltage (3) Max continuous power (4) Observed/measured standby consumption compared to spec sheet (5) Indicate whether power save features are active or not
Great one-of-a-kind thread you've got going here! Idle power consumption is an often unspecified/non-reported figure that can be quite important and consequential, particularly with smaller systems. Here are the figures I measured from the inverter I'm currently using:

1.) Genetry Solar GS-6000-36-240SP
2.) In: 30-48V, Out: 240V split phase
3.) 6000W continuous; 18,000W surge (2 seconds)
4.) 19W idle (39.7V @ 0.48A, spec is 24W)
5.) 3W standby (40.6V @ 0.07A, spec not specified)
6.) Didn't measure off; will update here if I do

I don't use the standby (power-save) mode, but measured and included that figure above for comparison with other inverters. Also, this is a "low frequency" inverter.

Thank you for making this table and sharing it with us. I am quoting you to improve its visibility, as it was hard for me to find again. Perhaps this could be copied into the first post?

(1) APC UPS SUA5000RMI5U
(2) 48vdc/230vac
(3) 5000va/4000w
(4) 144w measured, not listed on data sheet
(5) no power safe

I've had my eye on one , what do you think of it?
I think it’s a fantastic piece of equipment for a lower-tier product. After much more use I’d say it’s 18W idle fwiw.
It reliably turned off when a ‘bleeping cheap galldarned SCC’ pumped everything to 14.9V the other day.

It starts my skillsaw, handles a coffeemaker, runs a fridge 24/7, and the fans cycle acceptably.
I had to change the polarity on the outlets because N and H are connected backwards. I may not be able to N-G bond it but I’m going to try…
If it blows up I’m buying a 3000W Giandel pure sine inverter. Can be externally bonded, and I’ve been wanting to try 3000W at 12V anyway. 2000W is plenty.

Even though I took the time to correct the polarity on the outlets I’m using 10ga from it to the breaker panel.

I think it’s a fantastic piece of equipment for a lower-tier product. After much more use I’d say it’s 18W idle fwiw.
It reliably turned off when a ‘bleeping cheap galldarned SCC’ pumped everything to 14.9V the other day.

It starts my skillsaw, handles a coffeemaker, runs a fridge 24/7, and the fans cycle acceptably.
I had to change the polarity on the outlets because N and H are connected backwards. I may not be able to N-G bond it but I’m going to try…
If it blows up I’m buying a 3000W Giandel pure sine inverter. Can be externally bonded, and I’ve been wanting to try 3000W at 12V anyway. 2000W is plenty.

Even though I took the time to correct the polarity on the outlets I’m using 10ga from it to the breaker panel.

Lovely thank you

In this thread, I hope to consolidate personal observations/measurements on inverter standby consumption. Specifically whether your observations are inline with what is stated on the datasheet, along with anything else you consider relevant, interesting, good or bad. With time--if this thread gains traction--it could be a useful resource for those shopping for inverters, and help us calibrate our expectations.

At a minimum report (1) Make+Model (2) Voltage (3) Max continuous power (4) Observed/measured standby consumption compared to spec sheet (5) Indicate whether power save features are active or not

*Keep in mind, any individual datapoint (even when its your own experience) is just a datapoint, subject to measurement error, bias, etc, but with a handful of datapoints, we can begin to feel a bit more confident drawing conclusions/generalizations.
I’m not sure but it’s not much… victron 3000 multi… no load , except the inverter/ dongle / shunt , if applicable..!
phone app says 31 watts …….I think there is a power saver on the multi it but it’s not on as I have never tried it.
im happy either way.

I’m not sure but it’s not much… victron 3000 multi… no load , except the inverter/ dongle / shunt , if applicable..!
phone app says 31 watts …….I think there is a power saver on the multi it but it’s not on as I have never tried it.
im happy either way.

the power saver is only usable if you have NO need of AC power... for clocks or fridge thermostats or anything like that. If you have ANYTHING using AC power constantly, power saving modes cannot be used.

the power saver is only usable if you have NO need of AC power... for clocks or fridge thermostats or anything like that. If you have ANYTHING using AC power constantly, power saving modes cannot be used.
Well one more time you point in the right direction for knowledge… … thanks , one day I owe you a Romulan pizza… tradition requires it can only be consumed along with Romulan ale ..
But drinking that has been banned by the federation for decades …that must be strong stuff.?

i have the prior version of this inverter (Phoenix 1200va (non ve-direct). Also 12 volts. About 14 watts idle when the spec sheet says around 8 watts. But it will run my vacuum, which is impressive for its size.

In Will Prowse's video on the Phoenix 12/1200 (ve direct version), he measures a range in the idle draw. On ECO mode, it's rated to draw 1W. IIRC, he measured from less than 0.5W to as high as 3W and he assumes that Victron came up with the 1W rating as an average. Still waiting on ordering mine, but I'll be curious to test it and see if I come up with a similar range.

I got my hands on a Sungold 48v 6000w Low Frequency beast of an inverter.

Specs Claimed:
*Idle Consumption: 81W
*Power Saver Mode Idle Consumption: 30W

So I just got my Bench Power Supply, set it to 54v and connected the terminals. I was astonished to find the following:

*Idle Consumption: 101W
*Power Saver Mode Idle Consumption: 2.5W

This is obviously wildly different from specs. What do you think is going on? I was going to install this in a big motorhome for a family member, but after seeing 101w of idle consumption, thats really offputting. The power save mode is amazing at 2.5w, and according to the manual is searching for any load larger than 25w. But what RV (especially a larger motorhome with lots of electronics) has an idle load of less than 25w? My 2020 Momentum RV had an idle load of 75w! Adding 101w on top of that would be Ludacris.

Back