diy solar

diy solar

if you want to build a DIY solar system, what will be your care about?

Bensonxie

as we know, to DIY our solar system, we need to consider many things. let me see what we need to build the solar system by ourselves.

1. solar panels
2. solar inverter
3. line/wires or cables
4. breakers (switches) inbuilt power distribution box
5. solar panel brackets
6. batteries
7. we need some terminal for connecting the line/wire or cables.
8. tools, like line/wire crimpers

will you like to order these components from different suppliers or will you prefer to order from one supplier who can be integrated all components?
I think it is not easy to get from one supplier but what is the best way you like? if someone can provide more combination components, would you prefer to buy from them?

First thing I consider is viability over cost / payback time.
Once viability is positive, I'll start a more complete breakdown of components, this sometimes through up unseen costs.
Then onto design /research into the unknown - learning about lifepo4 / ESS / self islanding/ critical loads ect ect, found this good but at times frustrating with a few dead ends - deciding on certain inverter only to discover it doesn't do what I want it to do.
I buy bits from various sources- ebay / aliexpress/ direct from suppliers, always check out reviews.
As for pre-built distribution boxs, I wouldn't consider one as I like to research / build my own, personal choice - some like to simply buy and plug the bits together, others just pay someone for a total install.
About the only tool I haven't got is large cable crimper- looked into buying - but luckily can borrow this from sparks at work.
Good luck on your journey and it's a case of learning or paying someone.

If you are setting up a supply business to sell solar parts to DIY consumers, you'll need to identify specific common use cases and issues.
First time installers need a lot of suggestions and simplifications. Having one vendor that sells all the parts ensures interoperability and easy connections between all the parts, or you sell the main bits while having links to the other items you don't supply via Amazon affiliate links (and keep the links updated).

Common use case questions:
Energy back up system for grid-down or full-time system. Main residence or vacation cottage.
Grid-tie vs off-grid (if grid goes down then does the grid-tie cause your solar system to go down too?)
Deep water well pump that needs split-phase 120v power (fancy inverter or pair of inverters), or other equipment like 220v welders
String inverters vs MPP inverters (cost of inverters vs 'just add more panels to cover shading')
Manual transfer switching for grid-down as if using a gasoline generator; or all automatic with a premium inverter.
Ground or roof mount systems. Ground has many advantages except for space.

Then typical power level packages to make it easy to choose panels, inverters, switching, and connections.
List what appliances can be running for each. Perhaps a simple needs calculator where a buyer inputs what equipment they have/want to use.

Small ~~ 2,500kw ("keep the refrigerator, freezer, tv, box fan or gas furnace controls/fan, and a couple of lights going")
Medium ~~ 6,500kw ("above items plus a small mini-split AC system")
Large ~~ 10,000kw+ ("all the general things in most homes under 4,000sqft, including one or two regular AC units")

Include expansion considerations from a small to medium to large system over time, what upgrades should they think of first (more panels, more batteries, larger inverter). Most buyers are going to want to start with a small system to learn with then upgrade over time.

Drawings and plans suitable for city/township permit submissions. Homeowner just crosses out the given wire run distance and writes in their own actual placement (say from a generic ground mount solar panel array to the house). Ground mount architectural plans (wood and/or metal). Roof mount system plans. Drawings that meet national construction and electrical codes. Most DIY homeowners don't have the skills and maybe not the interest to study the issues involved. A basic template to start with is very helpful.

Example photographs of good wire management/installation, placement and wiring to the various boxes, battery array wiring, etc.

Last is shipping. Keep shipping costs low. Use strong packaging. I had a pallet of panels delivered and 20% of them were speared by the trucking company fork truck driver while other unknown items had been stacked on top flattening the warning cone about not stacking still on the top of the pack. Replacements arrived with a big oil leak with creases on the outer cardboard from stacking something on top, again flattening the included warning cone on top.

iu

Last edited:
First thing I consider is viability over cost / payback time.
Once viability is positive, I'll start a more complete breakdown of components, this sometimes through up unseen costs.
Then onto design /research into the unknown - learning about lifepo4 / ESS / self islanding/ critical loads ect ect, found this good but at times frustrating with a few dead ends - deciding on certain inverter only to discover it doesn't do what I want it to do.
I buy bits from various sources- ebay / aliexpress/ direct from suppliers, always check out reviews.
As for pre-built distribution boxs, I wouldn't consider one as I like to research / build my own, personal choice - some like to simply buy and plug the bits together, others just pay someone for a total install.
About the only tool I haven't got is large cable crimper- looked into buying - but luckily can borrow this from sparks at work.
Good luck on your journey and it's a case of learning or paying someone.
Yes, for DIYers, I think the cost, payback time, and economic benefit are all considered for the first time. That is why we need to build the solar system by ourselves. But if you have a budget and are ready to build the solar system by yourselves, what would you like to get all components? there are many components that need to be ready before installation. would you like to order them from one integrated supplier or get them from different suppliers just to care about the cost?
I would like to get everything from one supplier if they can supply all. It is very convenient and efficient. and we can build the system very quickly and do not need to wait for a long time to get everything ready.

If you are setting up a supply business to sell solar parts to DIY consumers, you'll need to identify specific common use cases and issues.
First time installers need a lot of suggestions and simplifications. Having one vendor that sells all the parts ensures interoperability and easy connections between all the parts, or you sell the main bits while having links to the other items you don't supply via Amazon affiliate links (and keep the links updated).

Common use case questions:
Energy back up system for grid-down or full-time system. Main residence or vacation cottage.
Grid-tie vs off-grid (if grid goes down then does the grid-tie cause your solar system to go down too?)
Deep water well pump that needs split-phase 120v power (fancy inverter or pair of inverters), or other equipment like 220v welders
String inverters vs MPP inverters (cost of inverters vs 'just add more panels to cover shading')
Manual transfer switching for grid-down as if using a gasoline generator; or all automatic with a premium inverter.
Ground or roof mount systems. Ground has many advantages except for space.

Then typical power level packages to make it easy to choose panels, inverters, switching, and connections.
List what appliances can be running for each. Perhaps a simple needs calculator where a buyer inputs what equipment they have/want to use.

Small ~~ 2,500kw ("keep the refrigerator, freezer, tv, box fan or gas furnace controls/fan, and a couple of lights going")
Medium ~~ 6,500kw ("above items plus a small mini-split AC system")
Large ~~ 10,000kw+ ("all the general things in most homes under 4,000sqft, including one or two regular AC units")

Include expansion considerations from a small to medium to large system over time, what upgrades should they think of first (more panels, more batteries, larger inverter). Most buyers are going to want to start with a small system to learn with then upgrade over time.

Drawings and plans suitable for city/township permit submissions. Homeowner just crosses out the given wire run distance and writes in their own actual placement (say from a generic ground mount solar panel array to the house). Ground mount architectural plans (wood and/or metal). Roof mount system plans. Drawings that meet national construction and electrical codes. Most DIY homeowners don't have the skills and maybe not the interest to study the issues involved. A basic template to start with is very helpful.

Example photographs of good wire management/installation, placement and wiring to the various boxes, battery array wiring, etc.

Last is shipping. Keep shipping costs low. Use strong packaging. I had a pallet of panels delivered and 20% of them were speared by the trucking company fork truck driver while other unknown items had been stacked on top flattening the warning cone about not stacking still on the top of the pack. Replacements arrived with a big oil leak with creases on the outer cardboard from stacking something on top, again flattening the included warning cone on top.

iu

Very professional reply. you are considering most of the things when we are planning to build the solar systems for your house. we need to order solar panels, solar off-grid inverter (solar hybrid inverter or maybe grid-tied inverter just depending on the requirement of what system you want to build), power distribution box and cables, etc.
if someone builds one solar off-grid or hybrid inverter integrated with PV switches, PV SPD and lighting protection, AC breakers (input &output), and DC battery breakers in one unit. we just get this type of inverter and plug and play. would you like this type of inverter or you will get them separately, everything separate?

I think there could be a good market potential for basic off-grid/hybrid inverter based kits. Keep it simple and off clear and concise online videos, pdf schematics with an emphasis on safety and the requisite disclaimers.

8. Tools

The worst is when I am building something and have to play a game of "look for it" stop and search is such a waste time and energy.

I got pissed off during my build and bought 4 tape measures from the dollar store, OK look for it game what are you going to do now I have four ! Its around here someplace but screw you 3 to go in the toolbox plus the one I originally misplaced.

I majorly skimped on tape measure quality but in addition good quality tools are a must. Automatic wire strippers, crimpers, BIG wire connection set, real brand name needle nose vice grips. Cool mutli meter amp clamp ect

This was a DIY science project for me, I think just plugging together some kit might have bored me, but that's me, been a science nerd since a kid.

8. Tools

The worst is when I am building something and have to play a game of "look for it" stop and search is such a waste time and energy.

I got pissed off during my build and bought 4 tape measures from the dollar store, OK look for it game what are you going to do now I have four ! Its around here someplace but screw you 3 to go in the toolbox plus the one I originally misplaced.

I majorly skimped on tape measure quality but in addition good quality tools are a must. Automatic wire strippers, crimpers, BIG wire connection set, real brand name needle nose vice grips. Cool mutli meter amp clamp ect

This was a DIY science project for me, I think just plugging together some kit might have bored me, but that's me, been a science nerd since a kid.
I am disorganized so most of my time is spent looking for stuff. I'd buy stuff to replace what I misplaced all the time! OP just research and buy from any place that provides the best return policy and best price.

I am disorganized so most of my time is spent looking for stuff. I'd buy stuff to replace what I misplaced all the time! OP just research and buy from any place that provides the best return policy and best price.

I was doing my system on a cabin cruiser and what drove me nuts too was it has a dark colored interior and what happens is you go outside and get "snow blind" in the sun on white fiberglass and water glare then go inside cant see! A game of look for it in the dark.

Today I got actually angry could not find a Philips head screwdriver. I need to buy at least 6 more of those too. 6 would easily defeat the look for it game.

Flat heads mostly phased out but screw driver 'sets' all equal numbers of each. Just Google shopping searched Philips head.

I was doing my system on a cabin cruiser and what drove me nuts too was it has a dark colored interior and what happens is you go outside and get "snow blind" in the sun on white fiberglass and water glare then go inside cant see! A game of look for it in the dark.

Today I got actually angry could not find a Philips head screwdriver. I need to buy at least 6 more of those too. 6 would easily defeat the look for it game.

Flat heads mostly phased out but screw driver 'sets' all equal numbers of each. Just Google shopping searched Philips head.
so, it will be happy for DIYers if someone provides a full package of a system. you will not play the "look for it" game never.

will you like to order these components from different suppliers or will you prefer to order from one supplier who can be integrated all components?
I think it is not easy to get from one supplier but what is the best way you like? if someone can provide more combination components, would you prefer to buy from them?
I rarely find suppliers that choose to kit parts offer better prices than an a la carte offering. Frequently you see higher cost assocated with "kits" because "we have spent all the time to put all the stuff together for you" so as a DIY'r cost is likely my first factor, being the one-stop-shop (and likely its higher prices) are a non-starter for me.

Higher "kit" prices often come with "but we will support it". Great if your a hold my hand kinda DIY'r. again that adds to cost that an a la carte offering doesn't have.

Volume of sales. If you want to be the one-stop-shop often having $$$$ tied up in hundreds of skews of products means your volume discount on something like AIO's is unlikely to beat the pricing of a single vendor that all they sell is AIO's. - see price comments above.

so from my perspective there are lots of reasons why kit guy is never going to be my goto location for DIY solar stuff.

Back