diy solar

diy solar

VEHICLE TO LOAD.. KIA EV6 powering a HOUSE

MrSteve

Hi all!

So a customer of mine (i am a electrician) asked me if it was possible to connect his Kia EV6 to his house and safe some money on the electrical bill
since he charges the Kia for free via the company.

So my thinking was we could do this a couple ways.

Easy way, hook up a "generator" plug outside and run it to the fusebox, small 1 fase transfer switch (HAGER SFT 225) and he can manually
change over from 1 fase in the fusebox to his Kia EV6. Keeping in mind he has only 3600W available from his Kia.

Second option:
I was thinkin about a Victron Quattro, use the Kia on AC in 1. This way if he plugs in the Kia the Quattro switches from AC 2. grid to the AC 1. Kia.
Hook up a couple of Pylontechs as well en we got a ESS system.. NOT.
I contacted our Victron supplier with this case and of course it's not this simple..

The customer has a 3 fase system and solar as well. What happens when the Kia is connected, so no grid available and the solar starts feeding the Kia?
We did some brainstorming of course, but al in all it turns out it would be a very pricy system, 3 Quattro's (3 fase), Pylontechs, Anti-island switch and so on.

Third option:
I came across this article https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/blog/vehicle-to-load-v2l-explained

I have not yet spoken to my Victron supplier about this option but it seems more simple.
1 Multiplus that runs ESS coupled to Pylontechs, Cerbo and so on, like a normal Victron ESS system.
The customer is interested in a small ESS system so that's a plus.
And a second Multiplus or 48V Victron charger connected to the Pylontechs that is powered by the Kia when plugged in via the "generator" wall plug outside.
That way the Kia is relatively safe connected to the system and no fear of the solar and such feeding the Kia.
Kia charges battery, battery powers the Multiplus and injecting it into the house when needed via ESS.

V2L_off-grid_solar_power_charging_v1.png

What do you guy's think about this set-up?
Anyone has expiriance with this set-up or something similar like this.
I would like to use Victron components if possible.

Thanks for your input!
Steve, The Netherlands.

Attachments

• V2L_off-grid_solar_power_charging_v1.png
    V2L_off-grid_solar_power_charging_v1.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
Broadly speaking, yes, I think that Kia to standalone charger to battery is the best way to do it.

I don't know about the inverter design on the AC side, with three phase and I'm not familiar with Victron products.

But I would definitely do it by a charger and not direct KIA to house AC.

Back