diy solar

diy solar

View with skepticism - Youtube claimant to run his house and charge Teslas

Looks umm safe? . . . I don't see a fuse inline. Loose screws, and a lightbulb laying around. Yellow green wire appears to connect to the (+)? Like ROMEX using all three leads as a single conductor from to battery. I'm not sure I would have posted that picture to demonstrate "safe". It looks a little scary as presented.
Yes, it is actually safe lol- there is another of those 630A fuses inline with the inverter power inputs (2 paralleled starter motor cables on both the negative and positive leads) are not visible in that photo- the lightbulb was for size comparison when I took that shot (to show the size of the inverter) and the bolt is from the battery cover lol (taken off to show the battery bank- otherwise its just a 'big metal box')- usually the inverter is sitting on top of the 'battery box'

The TPE is 2.5mm2 240v mains cable, in triple parallel (and sleeved in red or black as is visble on both positive controller leads) to show the polarity- that goes to the two charge controllers (3 paralleled on each negative and positive for each controller, giving a total cable capacity of 78A for the 60A MPPT controller it is attached to)- I'm an elec fitter and have a LOT of 'leftover' TPE lying around (as in a couple of 1000L IBC's with the tops cut off full of various 'left over' lengths from a few cm up to a metre or two in various sizes (1.5mm, 2.5mm and 4mm)- when I get 4 of them full, they go to the recycling center on the tilt-tray- thats about $400-$500 an trip!!!), and used in that way, it is perfect for the charge controllers 60A output...

There is an inline circuit breaker that supplies the +12v to the caravan (visible just above the inverter above the Jack on the label
So yes- perfectly safe- its messy, but safe...

I simply used whatever I have lying around from the jobs as parts for the system- it is after all only a 'temporary' system to run the caravan while I am building the house, and probably in the next six months or so, will be permanently disassembled lol- when the 48v house system is done (that will be done 'properly' as it is the 'rest of my life' retirement house)

Back