diy solar

diy solar

Looking to replace EcoFlow with something better

seeyalater

About 6 months ago I purchased an EcoFlow Delta Pro, Extra Battery and their Smart Home Panel which seemed like a nice, simple and modern setup with a decent app for about $5-6k. I live in South Florida and we don't have too many random power outages, so this is mostly for emergency use during hurricanes and such.

My Delta Pro system just sat in standby mode all the time, which to my surprise uses up like 10-15% of the battery, so I would have the Smart Home Panel top it off weekly. Well about 2 months ago the Delta Pro just died, then just the other day the replacement unit literally went up in smoke. Luckily I was in the garage and noticed smoke coming out the top of it.

So I'm done with EcoFlow and researching a built-in system using a couple of inverters and some rack mounted batteries where I can replace components individually if anything ever fails in the future.

I think I have it narrowed down to a couple of Victron PMP482505110 inverters or EG4 6500EX-48 which are both about the same price. The Victron units seem to draw less power in standby and Dutch or Swedish made I believe, but then need a bunch of add-on modules which makes the installation not as clean looking. The EG4 units draw a little more in stand-by, but have everything built-in for a clean installation, but are made in China.

I still haven't decided on batteries.

Looking for any advise on a low-maintenance setup that will use as little power in stand-by, or even Off, and last a long time.

Attachments

• IMG_0604.jpg
    IMG_0604.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3
I think I have it narrowed down to a couple of Victron PMP482505110 inverters or EG4 6500EX-48 which are both about the same price. The Victron units seem to draw less power in standby and Dutch or Swedish made I believe, but then need a bunch of add-on modules which makes the installation not as clean looking. The EG4 units draw a little more in stand-by, but have everything built-in for a clean installation, but are made in China.
Looking for any advise on a low-maintenance setup that will use as little power in stand-by, or even Off, and last a long time.
Victron is by far the higher quality product and it will use substantially less power when in stand by. I believe the 6500EX is discontinued. (for good reason) It has sort of been replaced by the 6000XP. I say sort of because the EX is 120V while the XP is 120/240 split phase.

Victron is by far the higher quality product and it will use substantially less power when in stand by. I believe the 6500EX is discontinued. (for good reason) It has sort of been replaced by the 6000XP. I say sort of because the EX is 120V while the XP is 120/240 split phase.
There are certainly a lot of Victron fans. The 6000XP is also being well received. I love my 6000XP. I can certainly live with the extra 50 watts or so of internal consumption as a trade-off for a much less costly, cleaner, and simpler setup. The users of both systems are very happy for the most part - good to have many good options.

BTW - @seeyalater - I went through the same evolution - starting with EcoFlow products and moving on to find these other much better options. I see even the Delta Pro Ultra and SHP2 users continue to struggle with similar issues as the older products. Sigh - it's too bad because when they work they're very nice products. I think their main struggles seem to be on the firmware side of things.

Back