diy solar

diy solar

I'm a Makita guy. You? LifePo cartridge?

The 18V LXT Makita batteries that are "double thick", i.e. every battery except the "single thick" 1.5AH batteries are 6S2P. The 1.5AH is 6S.
All of the 6S2P batteries ignore the parallel cells and treat as 6S. Are the cells closely matched at the factory to make it irrelevant? I don't know, but I am certain there is better battery management with the competing dewalt and milwaukee alternatives.

I have a 2.1Gal AC/DC vac, x2 36v chainsaw, x2 36v trimmer and back pack, lots of shop tools.
I just wonder who if anyone will be first to denounce Lithium Ion and offer backward compatible LiFePo cartridges. Cheers ?
I doubt any tool co will switch to LFP…
It would create larger heavier batteries to get same power… and it would reduce the battery purchases they get with NMC…

All makita for almost 30 years here. Never broken a tool out of about 3 dozen+, Have a 14v pod nimh battery from the late 90s? That still holds a bit of a charge.
Lately they have been underwhelming. Overpriced and marginal performing.
In last 2 years bought an 8 pc combo kit, a heat gun, an inflator, variable speed grinder, mid torque impact gun, and 36v leaf blower which i returned.
I was disappointed their only cordless rivet tool was $1400. Milwsukee has one for $220 very similar.
As I had 2 air hydraulic ones i just bought a quiet compressor from harbor freight. Tiny thing you cant hear it run..
Some experts are criticizing their lack of battery progress. Some loyal customers say theyre resting on past reputation while the red guys constantly innovate, but the same discussion saw a lot of people dissing milwaukee reliability. For instance their most popular 1/2" impact was quietly redesigned with cost cutting changes and saw huge failure rates. This was all over youtube. Makita has had no such issues.
My 2 cents. Ill see if I can find the blog with that discussion.
And by “for example”, you mean the only thing you can dig up and Milwaukee is standing by their customers.

On topic, Milwaukee and Milwaukee Packout. Milwaukee is close to releasing their Forge pouch cell batteries that will indeed noticeably increase performance.

Thanks to all of the respondents, I forgot about the Bosch and Festool and Porter Cable crowd.
All worthy brands that I would swing if I had them.

I have my dads Black and Decker 'Holgun' 1800RPM non-reverse drill made for aero in the 40's. I don't know what job he *stole* it, but it was sometime in the 60's.

Harbor Freight at least looks 'blue' at a lower price than Makita nowadays.
In 2010 I purchased a 9pc. Makita 18V LXT kit for $699 and I still have all of those tools. The drill motor and 1/4" driver still work fine, but I replaced them with brushless 'Z' tool only models.

And by “for example”, you mean the only thing you can dig up and Milwaukee is standing by their customers.

On topic, Milwaukee and Milwaukee Packout. Milwaukee is close to releasing their Forge pouch cell batteries that will indeed noticeably increase performance.
Dewalt has had their pouch cells (Powerstack) out for at least a year. I'm not saying yellow is better than red; I'm just saying it's not a new innovation.

With all of the makers prototypers and DIYers here nobody has taken 6 prismatic cells and corded up a cordless drill? ?

With all of the makers prototypers and DIYers here nobody has taken 6 prismatic cells and corded up a cordless drill? ?
Thats the real problem. Why?

In the old days with nicads it would of made sense. With todays batteries its just not worth it unless it was some kind of big tool.

Maybe a table saw or such?

I know with my newer drills, impact guns, saws and such I hardly go thru one battery let alone two for a job.

Even my lightweight black and decker weed eater I use the crappy small batteries on it because the high capacity ones I added to the collection later run so long I'd be in the hospital if I ran one down all at once on a hot day :)

Dewalt has had their pouch cells (Powerstack) out for at least a year. I'm not saying yellow is better than red; I'm just saying it's not a new innovation.
Dewalts power stack seemed to be limited to the 1.7Ah size initially but looks like they have a 5Ah one now. Only other company I know makes them is Stihl with their ap500s but that's not exactly going to fit on a drill :) plus my Stihl dealer has had one on order for me for months with no success.

I didnt have to "dig up" anything, I dont spend much time paying attention to tool companies. This appeared on my youtube feed repeatedly for several months.
Standing by their customers how? Replacing the broken units under warranty? My, that is certainly heroic of them, other companies never do that do they?
Meanwhile IIRC as the failure reports were pouring in to Milwaukee and customers shared stories on youtube and other platforms, Milwaukee continued to ship the defective units to retailers and if you got stuck with a broken unit you couldnt return it for the older versions still left in the system. They had to return it to milwaukee and wait months for them to sort it out.
Not sure what the final outcome of all this was but I did see the exact flaw that lead to all the failures and its amazing this even got by their engineering and QA departments.
Standing by their customer should start by not turning one of their most popular products into a third world toy for no other reason than making a few bucks and hoping nobody noticed. There was no other reason for the redesign and they tried to slide it by with the same model number but adding "b" to it.
I actually have nothing against milwaukee and my original post had plenty of criticism of makita.
Not sure why youre so sensitive of bad news about the red team.
I'll offer another thing that now irks me about brand R. Shopping for a set of drill bits recently I find that Milwaukee has now shifted all its sets to this quad tip design? Is that what its called? The single bit I bought didnt perform any better than other premium Chinese drills, but that quirky tip makes it virtually unsharpenable in a drill doctor or even by hand without grinding a whole new profile.
More pursuit of money. Throw away tools.
I have some snap on bits that have been sharpened repeatedly. No other reason but planned obsolescence.

Milwaukee is like the Renolgy of power tools as far as YouTube marketing influencers goes, except they do make some quality stuff (unlike some of Renolgy).

Big Reds slush fund is huge to keep eyes bleeding red and everyone including myself wanting more.

I merely commented my 12.0HD battery had a couple flukes in the winter with my leaf blower (dry air and heavy wind caused a spark that locked up the BMS, that just needed a rest) on Facebook, their marketing wank asked me for my info, sent me another leaf blower plus a chainsaw kit that included a new 12.0 and rapid charger, so retail about $700 just dropped shipped from a quick FB comment.

Last edited:
Here's my hoopty solution...only works for slow charging ap100 battery, runs at 170W. Ap300s is closer to 600W when charging and the xboost function doesn't work for this case. Thinking of getting a victron 1200va and an LFP 12v battery and hopefully not having so much fan noise plus infinite expansion possibilities.

20230709_115439.jpg

I choose Makita batteries and tools a long time ago, since 9.6V nickel sticks.
The best 18V LXT Makita battery cartridge is the 1.5AH because the cells are wired in series.
All of the 3AH and up batteries have parallel cells without proper BMS.
I have (2) 6AH (4) 5AH (1) 4AH
Countless 3AH in varying states of decay.
Who in the (dewalt milwaukee makita hitachi) will offer LiFePo?
I am a makita fan from waaaay back with the 7.2V 2 speed models. I still have my cased Makita 2 speed drill... unused for decades of course... I also have an old 9.6v model.
I always liked the Hitachi drill, but they are impossible to find anymore. I still have an old 14.4 model.
I also have several black and decker models. Some day I will retrofit in some lfp cells...
I've switched to Milwaukee both m12 and m18 I have extensive sets of them and a vast array of various batteries...

I have considered getting some of the aftermarket batteries and or cases and building some lfp replacements...
The issue is the lfp cells are low amp outputs...

I am a makita fan from waaaay back with the 7.2V 2 speed models. I still have my cased Makita 2 speed drill... unused for decades of course... I also have an old 9.6v model.
I always liked the Hitachi drill, but they are impossible to find anymore. I still have an old 14.4 model.
I also have several black and decker models. Some day I will retrofit in some lfp cells...
I've switched to Milwaukee both m12 and m18 I have extensive sets of them and a vast array of various batteries...

I have considered getting some of the aftermarket batteries and or cases and building some lfp replacements...
Hitachi is now sold as Metabo in most markets.

Someone gave me one of those 7.2 2 speeds around the year 2000... It was a dinosaur even then.
The nicd batteries were shot, I retrofitted some eneloop aa nimh rechargeables into it, i guess it was 6 of them i really had to force the case shut. It worked but i didnt use it much had the 14.4 pod at the time.

I didnt have to "dig up" anything, I dont spend much time paying attention to tool companies. This appeared on my youtube feed repeatedly for several months.
Standing by their customers how? Replacing the broken units under warranty? My, that is certainly heroic of them, other companies never do that do they?
Meanwhile IIRC as the failure reports were pouring in to Milwaukee and customers shared stories on youtube and other platforms, Milwaukee continued to ship the defective units to retailers and if you got stuck with a broken unit you couldnt return it for the older versions still left in the system. They had to return it to milwaukee and wait months for them to sort it out.
Not sure what the final outcome of all this was but I did see the exact flaw that lead to all the failures and its amazing this even got by their engineering and QA departments.
Standing by their customer should start by not turning one of their most popular products into a third world toy for no other reason than making a few bucks and hoping nobody noticed. There was no other reason for the redesign and they tried to slide it by with the same model number but adding "b" to it.
I actually have nothing against milwaukee and my original post had plenty of criticism of makita.
Not sure why youre so sensitive of bad news about the red team.
I'll offer another thing that now irks me about brand R. Shopping for a set of drill bits recently I find that Milwaukee has now shifted all its sets to this quad tip design? Is that what its called? The single bit I bought didnt perform any better than other premium Chinese drills, but that quirky tip makes it virtually unsharpenable in a drill doctor or even by hand without grinding a whole new profile.
More pursuit of money. Throw away tools.
I have some snap on bits that have been sharpened repeatedly. No other reason but planned obsolescence.
Return key, man. “Paragraphs”.

Back