diy solar

diy solar

I'm dazed and confused and can use some inverter assistance...

rkw

I'm in a paralysis by analysis condition right now and could really use advice. I promise I won't come burn down your barn if I make the wrong choice. ;)

I was not planning to go this way right now and had budgeted and spec'd out my system from a bank of 4 280ah LFP's (24v setup of course..ya gotta play with the cool kids after all) with about 1500W panels, Victron stuff, etc for my RV getting ready for my full-time while I wander to and fro exploring the country. Health issues cropped up stalling things and funds. I do find myself needing to just do something so I can get out an about a little anyway.

So I needed batteries right away as my T105's are worn to a frazzle but served me very well for 4yrs of pretty hard use, OK abuse but don't tell my wife she thinks I'm a solar genius…HA! ;) I grabbed a Renogy 200Ah AGM but was an idiot and got the single 200Ah battery at 130lbs, oops. So I need to hire in the neighbor kid to move it around these days.

I'm going very basic for now. It will be the battery dropped in to replace the existing 105's and a new inverter. Will wire the inverter directly to the battery for simplicity sake right now and the budget. I do need 3000W to run my blender, stop laughing OK? Part of my recovery means I drink about 72oz of smoothies daily and my Ninja is the 1400W model and does pull that much when grinding ice or on high. It's short bursts so not really worried about it draining the battery. I'll also use in varying combinations charge the laptop (about 125W charging) and will often run it plugged in. Then a couple TV's pretty much just one at a time. Both are newer QLED models with not a lot of current draw but it's there...a 50" and a 43" in bedroom. No worries about the fridge it's on propane most of the time unless I'm running one of the generators. Wife's hair dryer of course and other sundry hair burning or branding irons when it's playtime because life is way too short for plain old vanilla. But I digress…

Oh, will be just running off of extension cords I don't really want to get into anything more detail until I am physically, and mentally, up to that task.

I really have over analyzed the inverter detail and now I'm just burnt out. It doesn't need to be top tier at all as it should be in use no more than a year. I think I found a reasonable set of options? Maybe? They are:

Renogy 3000W
WZRELB 3000W (seduced by the wireless remote!!)
GoWISE 3000W PS1004
GoWISE 3000W PS1006

All are priced about the same, around $380 on Amazon. I thought I had ordered the GoWISE PS1004 a few weeks back but what they sent was, well, something different. So no more Amazon Warehouse for me. I only picked the PS1004 because Will shows it (I guess it is really the PS1006?) and it looked OK in his YT testing. Then I went shopping a bit more and found the other options after some reading here (the WZRELB whatever inverter), I thought how could Renogy be a bad option and then I learned there are two different GoWISE 3000W options. Oooookkkkkaaaay…I'm brain fired, someone choose for me!! Hehehehe…

Really I would love some input. I'm not worried about cabling I am a retired network designer and consultant who cut his teeth on the original Novel Netware. I gave up pulling cable in 1993 after an unpleasant experience installing a network in a friends dental practice…have you ever looked behind the ceiling tiles in a dental office? There is not even room for a bundle of 12 CAT5 cables and it was 110F outside and no AC in the ceiling of course…I still have nightmares.

But to be serious I can use some help. You folks are amazing and I've learned a lot from Will as well as mostly lurking here…THANKS A BUNCH!!

Last edited:
I have used and abused a WZRELB 3kw 48v inverter for 5 years and it still works fine.

Just one data point for you.

I have used and abused a WZRELB 3kw 48v inverter for 5 years and it still works fine.

Just one data point for you.
thank you for the info...nice to know about the longevity. I sense that all of them will be pretty much simply fine like most of the less spendy product. I mean we have to face it they are all made in China which can be good or bad. It's the brand's support from the company that matters. I have an inexpensive small backup generator that I paid under $300 for delivered about 18 months ago. Just a 3000W non-inverter model. Made in China and sold under several brand names. It has been a workhorse. I have about 1500hrs on it over that time. Normal maintenance, maybe a bit lax, yet it still runs fine. The carb needs replaced likely due to the ethanol in our fuels today. That is a $20 part and 30 min of my time. So, what's to complain about? I used to buy a lot of computer components direct from China in the 90s, I mean a lot. I found several fantastic board makers out there as well as some truly awful products.

We just learn...so reading of your positive experience helps confirm other reviews I've found. I just need something I can rely on. In the case of the WZRELB model, the wireless remote is of interest because mainly because I have days where I have trouble moving about. I installed a wireless remote for the on-board generator right at the inside start toggle in the dashboard. I love it and few others have one when bragging around a campfire at Quartzite rallies. Convenience is not always for trivial reasons even if I try to be lighthearted about it. Thanks so much for the vote for the brand.

No problem. I also have a Sigineer inverter and a Schneider that are more capable and more expensive for sure but the WZRELB certainly doesn’t owe me anything after 5 years of use. My WZRELB is pre wireless remote.

I’ve been to Quartzfest but since I don’t have an RV I stayed in town overnight.

decided on the GoWISE PS1006 due to the ability to wire in a receptacle, 20A if I recall or was it 15A.

It has a wired remote so that should get me enough to actually install a 2nd so I have one in the bedroom and on in the kitchen for those cold nights when I don't want to get out from under the blankies. :D

Thanks so much to those who helped with details.

Back