diy solar

diy solar

Import fees

I just purchased three solar panel "EXW". Total price before shipping is $150...plus $55 shipping. My understanding is the threshold for duty is $200 NOT including shipping. Sooo....I think I'm good and won't be paying duty.

Anyone with knowledge on EXW terms???

EXW terms: http://www.logistiikanmaailma.fi/en/contracts/terms-of-delivery/incoterms-2020/exw/

In short, you're responsible for pretty much everything. If something goes wrong during transport, it's your responsibility, not the sellers. I'm surprised your seller even used that for export.

Also, while there might be a threshold for duty, there isn't one (as far as I know for the US) on tariffs - so you still have to pay the tariffs on the solar panels.

I'm sorry that you had to pay so high costs.

No (private) person could have known about China - Hong Kong - USA "war" and know Infront the rise of the costs.

All shipments non DDP are always surprise, and strangely enough highly depending on carrier!!

In my experience DHL is the most expensive. UPS the cheapest.
That is for Europe (Netherlands) and Thailand.

Package with value $600 (3* 150 product and 150 transport) same type of content had 240 USD charges at DHL and 90 USD at UPS. (Thailand)
Same type of product, same price on invoice, same transport costs on invoice.
40% Vs 15%.

Only difference is transport company who makes the calculation...

That's my most clear example.
Overall I know when DHL gives me additional costs, I know I'm screwed and often just refuse the parcel and order new.
Cheaper to take the loss.

Cost including shipping was $4140 it was $3575 for the 5 units themselves.
Final Charges 938.95 USD

That's not so bad.

Import duties are always over the total price, and can be adjusted by DHL/FedEx/UPS if they think the price is too low.

22.5%

In Europe we standard have 19% sales tax. You always need to pay this.
Thailand is cheaper 7%.

The rest is the HS code import tariff and the "service charges" of the transport company to make this calculation for you and collect the money...
DHL easy being + $30, UPS $15

I don't know the regular tax in USA.
It might even be different per state?

22.5% is not bad at all for costs.
In the Netherlands they where sometimes over 40%. !!
(19% sales tax is already a lot)

DDP is often the same costs, but you take out the additional charges DHL / FedEx. / UPS might want to make.
And Thrust me, those guys are creative!!

That is already 10% profit on the total import duties. :)

Not all sellers want/can do DDP, easy enough to find transport company that does.

I showed a few alternative transport companies in my post about buying LiFePO4 cells

22.5% import duties as costs sounds for me a good rate.

Naturally not nice if you didn't expect to pay it.

Knowing the roulette here in Thailand for crazy "service charges" I do as much DDP as possible for all parcels above 100 USD.

I'm sorry that you had to pay so high costs.

No (private) person could have known about China - Hong Kong - USA "war" and know Infront the rise of the costs.

All shipments non DDP are always surprise, and strangely enough highly depending on carrier!!

In my experience DHL is the most expensive. UPS the cheapest.
That is for Europe (Netherlands) and Thailand.

Package with value $600 (3* 150 product and 150 transport) same type of content had 240 USD charges at DHL and 90 USD at UPS. (Thailand)
Same type of product, same price on invoice, same transport costs on invoice.
40% Vs 15%.

Only difference is transport company who makes the calculation...

That's my most clear example.
Overall I know when DHL gives me additional costs, I know I'm screwed and often just refuse the parcel and order new.
Cheaper to take the loss.

Cost including shipping was $4140 it was $3575 for the 5 units themselves.
Final Charges 938.95 USD

That's not so bad.

Import duties are always over the total price, and can be adjusted by DHL/FedEx/UPS if they think the price is too low.

22.5%

In Europe we standard have 19% sales tax. You always need to pay this.
Thailand is cheaper 7%.

The rest is the HS code import tariff and the "service charges" of the transport company to make this calculation for you and collect the money...
DHL easy being + $30, UPS $15

I don't know the regular tax in USA.
It might even be different per state?

22.5% is not bad at all for costs.
In the Netherlands they where sometimes over 40%. !!
(19% sales tax is already a lot)

DDP is often the same costs, but you take out the additional charges DHL / FedEx. / UPS might want to make.
And Thrust me, those guys are creative!!

That is already 10% profit on the total import duties. :)

Not all sellers want/can do DDP, easy enough to find transport company that does.

I showed a few alternative transport companies in my post about buying LiFePO4 cells

22.5% import duties as costs sounds for me a good rate.

Naturally not nice if you didn't expect to pay it.

Knowing the roulette here in Thailand for crazy "service charges" I do as much DDP as possible for all parcels above 100 USD.

Ya i paid roughly 5100 for the 5 units which is still cheaper than a solark and i got double the power. I think the other units sold here in the states which is made in china is 2k a unit so roughly 10,000 for 5 units with the same power capacity as the ones i got.

diy solar

diy solar
Back