diy solar

diy solar

In Search of charge controller for 48v solar and wind gen system to drive 48 volt inboard for a sailboat.

William

Greetings Earthlings,
I'm finally installing a 48v Thunderstruck 10kw electric drive in my sailboat. I've 4 ) 100 AH lipfo 12v battery bank. This will be doubled for redundancy later this year. The solar panel is 230w. And I'm adding a 400w wind gen soon. Any recommendations/. thoughts on a MPPT to handle all of that?
Thanks

I think you will find the batteries will be dead in under an hour and would take days to recharge.

Look at the manual page and check out the Dyno chart to see expected performance, and with 100Ah, your limited to 50% of the maximum rated performance of that 10kw motor.

Because the batteries will be setup as a 48v bank, you need a 48v mppt to charge them.

I would go with a Victron mppt 100/20 but you have a problem…

The solar panel is 230w - without knowing the specs - I am guessing volts of 23v and amps of 10a. You need 5v above the battery voltage to start charging.

So the solar voltage needs to be between 60 to 80v (for the 100/20 or 60v to 130v for the mppt 150/35). So you will need 2 or 3 panels in series to use solar.

Unfortunately I can’t help you with wind generation- other than to say make sure it is for 48v.

Did I understand your issue correctly?

Because the batteries will be setup as a 48v bank, you need a 48v mppt to charge them.

I would go with a Victron mppt 100/20 but you have a problem…

The solar panel is 230w - without knowing the specs - I am guessing volts of 23v and amps of 10a. You need 5v above the battery voltage to start charging.

So the solar voltage needs to be between 60 to 80v (for the 100/20 or 60v to 130v for the mppt 150/35). So you will need 2 or 3 panels in series to use solar.

Unfortunately I can’t help you with wind generation- other than to say make sure it is for 48v.

Did I understand your issue correctly?
Yes, thanks.

Back